DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many gallons to paint the exterior of a 2000 ft home using 2 coats of paint plus number of gallons for the trim?

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
how many gallons to paint the exterior of a 2000 ft home using 2 coats of paint plus number of gallons for the trim?
Think for a second how unanswerable this question is.

Stucco house? With a ornate porch and handrails and ballasters?

C'mon people.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Brushjockey, my thoughts exactly! The answer could be anywhere from 6 to 30 gallons depending on substrate, how paint is applied, drying conditions, condition of previous paint job, the stock market, Santa Claus and the Easter bunny. We would love to help you out here.......pics would be a great help along with about 30 more details.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
P.S. If you are doing this as a DIY project you may want to simply buy 2 or 3 gallons to see how much of the surface they cover in 2 coats. Then you will have a decent idea of how much more paint you will need to complete the job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I painted over my 12 inch Haida-Skril siding 6 years ago here south of Green Bay. I went over Mautz solid stain which lasted like 3 years with a oil primer from Home Dumpo and has some bleed through which I hosed off. I went over primer with 1 coat of Duration exterior satin paint after addressing all the thick knarly cracks with Gorilla glue(sand them down with a lava rock after it bubbles up a day later). I walk around my home every year since and marvel how perfect it looks. I am replacing one 6 foot board today, first thing I have done in 6 years, as it has gotten spongy but I have been so happy not to have to even think about painting my home as I get older I could pee my pants.

I looked at the 4 bucks a linear foot for this siding out of British Columbia and saved so much money using Gorilla glue which makes the board tough and strong as new compared to crappy old caulk to fill the cracks which the homeowner before me used. Use nothing else............. DURATION.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts