DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to refinish my currently stained wooden stairs. My first hope was to be able to sand them down to bare wood and restain them. I quickly figured out that due to the ridges in the wood I would end up compromising the wood too much and coat my entire home in dust so I’ve since relegated to painting them. They did have a fairly heavy coat of lacquer on them which I have stripped/sanded off to some degree.

I had read somewhere previously that as long as you roughed up the finish you could use a floor paint over top without having to prime. Is that true? I’m worried because in some areas I am already at bare wood and others not so I’m assuming I will need to prime it all and then paint?

It’s kind of mess right now so I just want to make sure I’m on the right track. If I do need to prime would I need an oil based primer instead of water? Would floor paint be a best bet? And what type of lacquer/top coat would be most durable?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I am wanting to refinish my currently stained wooden stairs. My first hope was to be able to sand them down to bare wood and restain them. I quickly figured out that due to the ridges in the wood I would end up compromising the wood too much and coat my entire home in dust so I’ve since relegated to painting them. They did have a fairly heavy coat of lacquer on them which I have stripped/sanded off to some degree.

I had read somewhere previously that as long as you roughed up the finish you could use a floor paint over top without having to prime. Is that true? I’m worried because in some areas I am already at bare wood and others not so I’m assuming I will need to prime it all and then paint?

It’s kind of mess right now so I just want to make sure I’m on the right track. If I do need to prime would I need an oil based primer instead of water? Would floor paint be a best bet? And what type of lacquer/top coat would be most durable?

Thanks in advance!

Clean with clean rinising degergent.
scuff sand with 150 grit, vaccum dust.
prime with benjaminmoore 024 or equivalent.
2 coats of a latex or oil based porch&floor enamel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, thank you! Pretty much what I thought, just wanted to make sure. So you don’t need to cover the paint with anything as long as it’s floor paint enamel?

·
Usually Confused
9,148 Posts
Nothing helpful to add, but a former neighbour of my F-in-L is a graphic artist (more artist - the graphic part pays the bills) and the stairs were painted when he bought the house. Rather then sand they down, he painted them to look like oak. I wish I had a picture but even if you get your nose right down, you simply can't tell.

BTW, is your avatar pic a Puli?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a ton of wood in my house already so I’m okay with having to paint them. I’m tying it in with the gray cupboards I have in my kitchen. My pic is actually a duckling in my daughter’s hair. She chose to put it on there lol.

·
Usually Confused
9,148 Posts
I have a ton of wood in my house already so I’m okay with having to paint them. I’m tying it in with the gray cupboards I have in my kitchen. My pic is actually a duckling in my daughter’s hair. She chose to put it on there lol.

Oops. Small pic + small screen. Please don't tell her I said it looked like a breed of dog. :vs_frown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.