DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting over Textured walls

12135 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  la15ota
I have a standard orange peel textured walls, out in California, lots of crevices. With builders crappy chalky paint.

I'd like to properly re-paint the room for my son's big boy room, I plan on using the BM - Natura paint (no VOC).

1. Should I prime it?
2. Recommendations on the right nap height for rollers
3. Types of brushes
4. General painting techniques for rolling and cutting in

All tips, suggestions and support are welcomed.
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
Getting the texture off:

If it's the texture that is the problem, stop sanding and spread a coat or two of mud on as was suggested. Do it in two layers if the texture is really rough and try to get it on as smooth as possible so you won't spend a great deal of effort trying to get it flat.

Choosing Roller

1- Choose a handle made of steel and equipped with a plastic grip that is threaded to accommodate an extension pole.

2 - Be sure the cage allows for easy roller cover replacement.

3- Check to be sure roller cover will stay in place on the cage and will not slide off.

4- If you'll be using oil-based paint, choose a roller cover made from natural fibers, such as sheepskin, lamb's wool, or mohair. You can also use a synthetic-fiber roller cover.

5- If you'll be using water-based (latex) paint, use a cover made of synthetic fibers.

6- Choose a roller cover with dense fibers. For fiber length, the rule to remember is the smoother the surface, the shorter the fiber length should be.

Brushing or cutting in tips

Beginning a wall painting project always starts with some brushing. Using a 3-inch brush apply the paint to the corners, walls to the ceiling and the walls to the trim, leaving a 3-4 inch band of paint. Now is the best time to cut-in around any obstructions such as electrical switches, outlets and permanently attached fixtures. Be careful brushing around the outlets, no need for excessive paint and possible drips from these areas.

Using a brush requires practice and patience. Use light pressure and a pulling motion to find the leading tip of the brush. Too much pressure will cause the brush to fan out. With practice this will become easier.

Dana
http://www.ninaathome.com/
See less See more
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.