DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some red magic marker marks on a ceiling I am going to paint white. So far I have 5 coats of 2 different Zinser primer,sealer products. They appear to cover but a few minutes later I can see the marks again. Any idea what touse? Thanks

· Registered
2,617 Posts
@Boogityman is correct. Primer is meant to hide and cover the stain so that it won't show through the color coat.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it will cover the stain itself.

Which primer are you using? I would suggest a shellac based primer like zinsser 123.

And, do a light coat of color over it first as there may be a change in sheen from the primer unless you put primer on the whole ceiling.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will try painting and see if it covers.
KT, Not sure which primers I used (not at the house now) but one of the Zinsser's was a shellac based in a spray can. The other was a 5 gallon can.

· Registered
405 Posts
Not sure if you used shellac BIN in a rattle can, but if you did just be careful I ran into some issues once as it basically dried before it hit the wall and/or I didn't spray heavy enough and it dried super rough... May want to sand it down a little bit if it feels rough to the touch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Yes, Definitely use shellac to cover the red. There are some rare instances where even BIN shellac won't cover red. I'm thinking you're ok covering marker, but, some of the red chalks used to mark lines, etc. do not cover up no matter how many coats you apply.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got back to the house today and painted the ceiling. It covered fine. I should have known about the primer. Many years ago I worked at a body shop. Some of those epoxy primers were almost transparent, but they did the job. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.