DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone help with this problem? I just spent the entire weekend painting my bathroom. Now I realize that it is really too shiny and I would like to tone it done with a medium luster - somewhere between semigloss and flat. Can I paint directly over the latex semigloss with at pearl finish? I used Home Depot Behr premium plus ultra, which is a primer and paint in one.

·
Registered
37,265 Posts
You might want to hold off to see if you get used to it.
Reason being is in a bathroom it's best to go with a higher sheen, easer to clean, less poris so it resist stains and mold better.

Reactions: jagans and Rats

·
2,392 Posts
A pearl sheen will be fine. You can go right over the semi-gloss. If you do it in the next 2-3 days you can go right over the semi. If you wait longer you want to give the semi a light scuff sanding with something like 150 grit sandpaper to cut the gloss a bit and create a bondable surface.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Joe is quite correct, as usual. You are much better off with SG in the bathroom, much less chance for mold build-up. I always use it, for what its worth, plus how often are you in there? It will look like gloss when you shower.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
To be perfectly honest here, mold grows on Semi-gloss just as easily as it grows on Satin..........it's the combination of moisture and something to feed on that makes mold grow.

·
2,392 Posts
I was also told by a few that a even mildewcide is not a guarantee against mold. It discourages growth but, if the situation is ripe enough, mold will grow. It only prevents a foothold and from permeating the surface which stains. I've had blackened silicone and grout but never mold on ceiling or walls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts