DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my boyfriend and I decided to tackle painting my living room. Everything went fine until we got to the trim and molding. We painted two coats, some places three, but we still saw poor results. We were using a white semi-gloss paint to paint over a tan gloss paint. It wasn't until after doing some research, I found out we should have sanded and/or primed first.

So now that there's already paint over the gloss paint is there anything I can do? Keep painting until it looks ok? Or is there a chance the paint will just peel off? Any advise at this point would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,073 Posts
Not much you can do at this point........3 coats of paint is gonna be tough to remove. You can either add coats til you get it to look good and hope for the best, or, you could scuff sand what you have done so far, remove the dust, prime with a good bonding primer like Zinsser's 1-2-3 and then apply your topcoats. At this point there are no assurances of a good bond, but, aside from stripping off all the paint and starting over, that's about all you can do.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is a chance of it peeling but nothing short of stripping your three coats and starting over with a scuff sand and primer will make it bond better now.Try scratching it and see how well it is bonded now.You may get lucky as long as it's latex gloss you painted over.

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
Another thing to consider - it will take a couple of weeks for the paint to fully cure to hardness and adhesion. A bonding primer and sand would have been better- but there is hope..

Depends what you used and what it was over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts