DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I prevent scratches and scrapes to the painted surface of cabinet shelves? The cabinets are old and painting is the best solution. But I am wondering if there is a finishing product that can be put over latex paint to make the surface scratch resistant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing and wonder if using a floor paint might not be the best option.

My home is filled with white built-in bookcases and it doesn't take much for those shelves to start looking bad. :(

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
It is asking a lot from paint, but THE MOST IMPORTANT part of painting something that is going to get ware and tear , and particularly if it already has varnish or anything glossy on it now, is prep for adhesion and using a GOOD adhesion primer.
Wash ( Krud Kutter/ maybe tsp- be carful TSp will etch most anything) , sand to cut gloss and give primer something to bit into- prime ( zinsser 123 is my prefered primer for this) , then 2 coats of an enamel - not a semi wall paint. The difference is hardness.
SW pro classic waterborne, Ben moore WB impervo or Aura SAtin, even their Advantage- which is a oil modified to be a waterborn. Use good stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use a furniture grade good paint......

and then,

cover them using shelf liners.
Hi, CruiseDivaNJ, could you tell what exactly is a furniture grade paint? Is it available in any big box store? Thanks.

I am looking for a white paint/stain to redo my kitchen cabinate. Would you recommend stain or paint?

Right now my cabinate just has a layer of clear polyester
on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, CruiseDivaNJ, could you tell what exactly is a furniture grade paint? Is it available in any big box store? Thanks.

I am looking for a white paint/stain to redo my kitchen cabinate. Would you recommend stain or paint?

Right now my cabinate just has a layer of clear polyester
on it.
I dont know what you mean by polyester..? Thats a type of fabric. If you mean polyurethane, I get it..I dont recall what we used on our cabinets exactly..but you would need to post a pic of your cabinets or explain them better to facilitate offerring the right advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont know what you mean by polyester..? Thats a type of fabric. If you mean polyurethane, I get it..I dont recall what we used on our cabinets exactly..but you would need to post a pic of your cabinets or explain them better to facilitate offerring the right advice.

Sorry, I mean polyurethane. These are two pictures.

The cabinets are originally white, I sanded them and put a thin layer of polyurethane. Now I change my mind, and would like to make them white again, by either stain or paint. Which is better? What exactly should I do? Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just my opinion, but - if you plan on replacing sometime in the near future, I would sand them and maybe just paint them with a durable paint - persoanlly i wouldnt go with a lacquer and I wouldnt start mixing products (mainly b/c Im a multiple homeowner, a DIY'er and not a professional) - professionals might suggest something different though. I have also refinished furniture- most recently a cupboard that gets A LOT of use - kids in and out of it looking for food, lol All we used was a high gloss latex paint b/c I needed it to be the same as a railing...I didnt line the shelves either and there are no scratches or wear (but dishes and glasses arent going in and out). Again, I woulduse shelf liners in kitchen cabinets.

Also, I recently noticed a "kit" sold in the big box stores and also advertised on television- I dont know what it is called but it is specific to redoing kitchen cabinets Im dying to look into it but my cabinets are new.....

I dont know if this helped...hope it did, even a little!!
[when we redid cabinets, unfortunately we werent working with wood - they werer, errrr.....something else. We sanded and then painted and voila, they lasted 6-8 yrs...nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts