DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an area on the garage door (about 2 x 10 inches) that the paint is peeling off and underneath a layer of wood (about 1-2 mm thick) that is damaged/rotten, most likely from the faulty sprinkler head. If I take off the paint and the damaged wood layer, what can I use the fill that missing 1-2 mm layer before I re-paint (to avoid having un-even surface appearance)? Thank you
Road surface Wood Asphalt Grey Floor

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,095 Posts
Bondo, works well,

That is auto body filler, it works easily , takes paint, and holds the shape great.

Takes practice to get it perfect, but with patience you can make it look good as it was before.

ED

·
retired framer
52,262 Posts
Or see if you can source a replacement. The local shop here saves good used panels just for that purpose.

·
Registered
37,419 Posts
As bad as that door looks I'd be replacing the whole thing.

Reactions: Gymschu

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
[/QUOTE

I’m with Joe on this one. Any kind of filler, unless it possesses some sort of magic I’m unfamiliar with, won’t stay in place for long. That’s a horrible spot to try and patch and the constant up and down garage door movement is going to work against a long-lasting patch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree. I'm not even sure that's real wood, it looks like some type of particle board product. If that is the case, it is beyond hope of repair. At the very least, the whole board needs to be replaced.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,095 Posts
Actually, one can get filler to attach to that, using small BOX nails, driven into the panel, leaving the head proud, and shoving the filler under the head, and working the surface to match the surrounding area, and painting, after it dries, and is sanded.

A lot of work, that is better left to experts.

A replacement panel from a supplier, or habitat, or recycler, would be easier.

ED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts