DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have two decks - first floor and second floor - pictures attached. Didn't get around to scraping and painting it. Last paint job done about 5 years back.
I am seeing the green stuff (moss or mold ?).

We have 50 high / 35 low - for the next one week - some days rain/drizzle.

I am thinking of cleaning moss/mold with bleach and pressure wash.

After cleaning, should I attempt to paint in this weather or

IS THERE AN OIL that I can apply on it to get me through the season and temporarily protect it ? Both decks are in the back and is not being used - so no worries about someone skidding.

I can also lay a sheet of plastic on it to protect it ?

Thanks
JB

Attachments

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It's risky to do solid stain this late in the year in your type of climate. Some solid stains are rated for low temp application, but still with rain in the forecast and short days (less sun to dry the wood) you would be taking a chance.

If you wash it now you will need to wash again in the spring before coating.

·
Premium Member
8,049 Posts
No need to apply anything for protection over the winter. There's enough mold/mildew on there to keep it somewhat protected from the elements.

JMays is right. You really don't have enough time to prep (looks like some sanding is needed), clean, let dry, and finish. Even if you got everything prepped and applied a finish, you would be leaving that fresh coating to battle a tough Chicago winter. Waiting til spring makes the most sense since you won't be using your deck over the winter anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.