DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a newbie home owner. I have a house that has brown paneling on the walls with unfinished crown molding, wood base trim, and trim around all of the interior doors. I want to paint the paneling as well as all wood base, trim and molding. The quarter round on the wood base is a lighter wood that separates the wood base and the wood floor. I want to keep the quarter round wood-stained.
Is there a particular order in which to paint these? or does it matter? The crown molding and trim work have never been painted, so would I have to use a primer on these as well as on the dark wood paneling? If so, what do you recommend?

Also, the nails used to attach the wood paneling are exposed. Do I need to tap those in with a nail punch and fill the holes prior to painting? If so, do I use wood filler or spackling? What do you recommend?
Thank you for your help!

·
retired painter
13,125 Posts
I'd set nails as needed first and fill the nail holes with painter's putty. Then prime your paneling. Next I would enamel the crown and stand up trim [doors/windows] then paint the walls and do the baseboard last. It may be a bit challenging to paint the base and not get any on the shoemold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Mark Sr, for your response. Would you recommend removing the shoemold prior to painting the base boards and then putting them back? Or is that more trouble than it is worth?

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Thank you, Mark Sr, for your response. Would you recommend removing the shoemold prior to painting the base boards and then putting them back? Or is that more trouble than it is worth?
Often time trying to remove old shoe molding results in damages to the molding, so instead do this:
Use a 24" painter guide, learn how to use it, and you won't need to remove the shoe molding.
You get it at the paint dept.

·
retired painter
13,125 Posts
I'd probably just opt for painting the shoe molding.

Most any thin straight piece of sheet metal will work as a shield. Be sure to wipe it off often so you don't transfer paint off of the shield onto what you are trying to keep clean. Tape is also an option but paint has a tendency to seep under tape so you'd want to remove it promptly in case you need to remove any paint that got under the tape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.