DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question concerning painting a ceiling at different times. For instance, my living room and hallway are the "same" ceiling as there is no break between them.

Due to time constraints I may not be able to paint the entire ceiling area all at the same time. I may paint the ceiling in the hallway then a month or two later I may paint the ceiling in the living room. My question is where I stop painting the hallway then later start painting the living room will the stop/start area be noticeable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Probably A lot may depend on what paint your using, what sheen it is, and the lighting situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My advice is if it's going to be a month or two before you can paint the living room ceiling, then just wait til then on the hallway as well and paint both at the same time. I assume your rolling them?

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
You CAN get away with it using SOME dead flat paints. However, many flats have an angular sheen to them which can leave a lap mark showing where you stopped and then started a month later. I say why risk it.......especially if you're a perfectionist.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the advice. I kind of assumed already what you are saying, but wanted to ask some in the know.

I will be using a Sherwin Williams ceiling paint (flat) more than likely.

I used the hallway and living room as an example, but the living room, dining room, kitchen and hallway all flow together. There's an open doorway (doorways go floor to ceiling) between the living room and dining room. The same between the kitchen and dining room as well as where the kitchen meets the hall.

I'm going to be renovating each room one at a time so that's why i asked about the ceiling paint.

I guess the best thing to do would be prep all 4 rooms then spray the ceiling all at the same time.

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Being hallways don't normally have windows and living rooms do, in the daylight hours take a look see where the light begins to fade on the ceiling and stop somewhere in that area and I doubt you'll see any difference. I know it will be difficult not to look up when passing that area for awhile but those forces will soon diminish.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Since you say you are going to be spraying the ceiling I would try to do it all at once. To spray is going to be a lot of masking, a lot, I would only want to do it once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts