DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up construction of some built-in cabinets and shelving for a dining room. The built-ins consists of lower cabinets, a plywood countertop, and shelving above the countertop. I used maple plywood and poplar 1x2’s for most of the material. The material was mostly pre-sanded when purchased. I plan to do a little bit of fine grit sanding before priming just to clean it up a bit.

I am painting the entire setup white. Using Benjamin Moore Advance paint (waterborne interior alkyd). Primer then two coats of satin top-coat. I have used this paint for other cabinets in the house and it holds up well, but I was thinking about after painting putting a few coats of water-based polyurethane on the surfaces that will get a little more beat-up (counter top, shelves, etc.)

Has anyone had any experience with this approach and possibly these specific products?

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Use an enamel paint and you would have a harder finish.
Not sure why you would have used maple veener plywood if you knew it was just going to be painted.
Higher the sheen, the easier the clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, When I started construction I wasn't 100% sure how we would be finishing, therefore I went with maple. Looks like using sanded pine would have saved me around 25%

Thanks for the feedback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.