DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...

We are in the process of building a home addition. The entire house has been stripped of its siding down to the plywood. Only the original windows which are only a few years old remain. The original windows in the house are "Trimline" aluminum frame in a copper or terratone like exterior color. The new windows that are going into the addition are going to be vinyl clad white Andersens.

My plan is to steel wool to roughen and then to spray the exterior aluminum window frames with white gloss prior to siding the house then I will not have to worry about overspray issues. I think this plan would be much cheaper than replacing all the windows in the house.

Can anyone recommend a decent paint that will last for this project?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I would wash the aluminum window frames before applying primer or paint by mixing some powered soap (laundry detergent) with warm water. Use some old cloths or old shirts to clean the window frames by removing any dirt, loose paint and other debris thoroughly. Allow the aluminum window frames to dry for at least 48 hours then mix 1 pint of paint thinner to 1 gallon of oil based metal primer. Tape around all your frames before applying the primerand apply one coat of primer using a paint brush. Allow primer to dry overnight to ensure that is it completely dry and then paint the aluminum window frames with acrylic latex exterior house paint within 48 hours of applying primer. Follow the directions for the paint to apply the proper number of coats.

·
Premium Member
7,894 Posts
No need for an etching primer........a good latex bonding primer is fine.......aluminum is fairly forgiving.......it can be painted up with just about any type of paint.

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
Do you think an etching primer would be appropriate here? Thanks for the reply.
if you were dealing with bare aluminum, i would solvent clean the metal with a non hydrocarbon solvent followed by an etching primer. since you have an existing coating and if it is tightly adhered, you can use the bonding primer as suggested by Gymschu.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts