DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have skim coated my ceiling. What is the steps for cleaning prior to painting? Which skim coat should I use? I am doing the whole house so I can't afford to use something to expensive.

·
Super Moderator
6,874 Posts
Use a push broom to knock down any dust remaining after you have sanded down the joint compound used to do the skim coat. Prime with a drywall primer. Apply two finish coats and call it done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out my steps here
I am painting the entire house, ceiling, wall, and trim.
Step one remove popcorn
Step two skim coat ceiling
Step three remove dust from ceiling and prime
Step four fix any problem on the ceiling that was revealed after the primer
Step five repair holes and imperfection on the wall
Step six caulking where needed
Step seven clean walls and trim
Step eight paint trim
Step nine paint ceiling
Step 10 paint walls

What correction would you make to my process? I wanted to spray but I have never done it before.

·
Anonymous Tard
356 Posts
PVA is a cheap drywall primer that gives you a decent base to start with. Zinsser 1-2-3 is fine as well. Make sure you re-prime any patches you make to the ceiling and walls after your step three, but make sure you only use the actual primer before you start painting.

If you discover things that need to be patched after your first coat of paint then you need to prime those spots with the paint itself and let it dry completely before you cut in and do the second coat. For really light colors you may need to paint-prime twice before top-coating. If you are using a paint with a sheen then scuff-sand those paint-primed patches to minimize the chance of flashing on your top-coat.

Also, make sure that you tape off your trim really well to avoid overspraying on to your walls (let the caulking fully dry before you try to put tape over it or bad things will happen).

Finally, paint the ceiling before you do trim or the walls. Always paint top to bottom to minimize the possibility of paint splattering on already finished surfaces. After that it is up to you if you want to do trim or walls first. We paint trim last for the same reason I just mentioned, but there are plenty of professional painters who also do trim first. It's up to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How important is the type primer that I get is Gripper worth $99/5 Gallon versus Zinsser Drywall Primer $34/ 5 Gallon?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Missed a BIG
One after steps 4 and 5......and that would be to spot prime the repairs.....else they will stand out clearly. Ron

·
Anonymous Tard
356 Posts
Gripper is not a very good choice since it is very thick and prone to leaving roller and brush marks (the last thing that you want). PVA is a very simple primer but it is designed to create a uniform surface over drywall and joint compound. It can't be used for anything else, whereas products like Zinsser 1-2-3 can be used on anything and it costs more.

·
Super Moderator
6,874 Posts
High build is fine. It will fill any pin holes left from your skim coating work and will leave you with a nice, solid surface for your topcoats.

Reactions: getrex
1 - 11 of 11 Posts