DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

A quick (hopefully) question concerning a gas furnace. I recently discovered a very slow water line drip that was above my furnace. It has since been fixed, but it seems as though a very minscule amount of water was dripping into the guts of my furnace. The good news is that I believe that none of the electronics were affected. The bad news is that I am noticing some rusting on the curve of the gas line just before the control valve.

My question is this: should I use a special paint (or something else) to help prevent any further corrosion of this pipe? I don't detect any gas at this point, but I would like to play it safe.

Any advice you might provide is much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
The thick steel pipe and at some point even the moisture in the air can give you some surface rust.
I would not paint them, reason being is it will stink up the whole house when that heater turns on when it burns the fumes from the paint.
This summer when your bored and it's not running and the pilots off go ahead and paint it yellow to ID it as a gas line.

Reactions: jagans

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thick steel pipe and at some point even the moisture in the air can give you some surface rust.
I would not paint them, reason being is it will stink up the whole house when that heater turns on when it burns the fumes from the paint.
This summer when your bored and it's not running and the pilots off go ahead and paint it yellow to ID it as a gas line.

Sounds good - thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts