DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting a new garage floor

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Noahs1980 
#1 ·
I have a month old concrete garage floor that I would like to paint. This is going to be a shop floor so I would like something that is easy to clean and will last for a while. Ideas and suggestions?

#2 ·
If your going to be driving vehicles in the garage you will want a coating that can handle hot tire pickup. H& Shield Crte is a great 2 part epoxy that works well on gargae floors, especially where vicles will be parked. It is easy to use. If the floor is smooth you will have to etch it after cleaning it , but etching is pretty simple.

#3 ·
Hey Noahs1980, Nothing makes working on and cleaning up a shop floor easier than a nice epoxy finish.
Having done this a few times and learning along the way a 2 part epoxy with a clear epoxy topcoat is going to be your best bet. Being there are so many different products out there some better than others I have always had good luck with the Rustoleum 2 part garage floor epoxy. I always have at least one car in pieces or engineless so the garage floor can really take a beating while working on projects, and with this I’ve had great luck. There are lots of other great products out there but its best to do a little research yourself and look over some professional reviews before jumping into it.
First thing you want to do is make sure to check with your coating manufacture and whoever poured the concrete. Usually it is suggested you wait at least 60-90 days before applying any topcoat to a freshly poured surface. This is because the concrete will still be leaching out moisture and if locked in can crack, chip, pit, and spall this is no bueno.
Next even if the concrete is so fresh make sure if there were any areas that may have gotten stained between pouring and coating and remove them, a concrete degreaser will work great but a strong acid/etcher will also help remove some of the stains.
Next dependent upon which product you decide on follow the instructions carefully and get to work, the only thing that is different from just using any normal floor paint is the fact it has a “working time” or window the product is still workable before the reducer/activator begins setting up and hardening. Start at the corners/sides, don’t get too ahead of yourself and, your project should come out perfect
Let us know if you have any other questions about different products or procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.