DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Why do people step on it, I don't think I have ever stepped on one.

For the life of me...I will never answer this one. Folks call when their thresholds show wear in the finish and I ask..."who the heck is standing on them?"

·
retired painter
13,607 Posts
Painted thresholds should be painted a dark color and preferably with an enamel paint. Dark won't show the dirt as bad and enamel both resists dirt and can be cleaned. I would never paint a threshold white.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Painted treads are going to get dirty, or wear down fast, and show their use.

Only real remedy is to replace it with a metal tread, unpainted.

ED
Agreed. I'd go with a stainless steel plate butted up to the threshold. RTV silicone will hold it down without any unsightly screws.

IMHO, Painted wood should never be used where it can be walked on. I don't even recommend painting concrete for the same reason, instead use a good quality solvent type stain. I stained my front porch 15 years ago and it still looks as good as it did on day one. It'll last for decades without any care.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Painted treads are going to get dirty, or wear down fast, and show their use.

Only real remedy is to replace it with a metal tread, unpainted.

ED
Agreed. I'd go with a stainless steel plate butted up to the threshold. RTV silicone will hold it down without any unsightly screws.

IMHO, Painted wood should never be used where it can be walked on. I don't even recommend painting concrete for the same reason, instead use a good quality solvent type stain. I stained my front porch 15 years ago and it still looks as good as it did on day one. It'll last for decades without any care.
Would I have to cut the plate around the door frame?

Also, you see that the threshold is painted and dirty? What to do there?

Do you mean a kick plate that usually goes on the door?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,375 Posts
I would get similar to this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-Mill-Fluted-Saddle-Threshold-68635/205449796

And fit it where needed to protect and seal the bottom of the door.

May take a bit of finesse to fit and seal, but it will solve the dirty paint problem.

And Wheelchairs don't skip over a threshold, they will leave a mark on the paint, Most people will step on that painted one there eventually.

ED

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you want a class act, have a metal shop make a stainless steel plate for you. It'll be beautiful and last longer than the house.

Something like the end view below. You would need to supply good measurements. I'd think keeping the drop from the threshold a little short since it's easier to shim up (use extra mastic) .050 than it is to crunch it down. The final drop only needs to be ¾" to look good.

Measure well and it will look super good! Mastic it down with RTV silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you want a class act, have a metal shop make a stainless steel pan for you. It'll be beautiful and last longer than the house.

Something like the end view below. You would need to supply good measurements. I'd think keeping the drop from the threshold a little short since it's easier to shim up .050 than it is to crunch it down.
I'll just paint it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.