DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tannin? Smoke? Is it spotty or is the whole surface changing color? Can it be cleaned off, or is it coming from underneath the paint? Were there any knots in the pine? (I assume not, but just asking) Do you have pictures?

I know the can says you can do it, but I wouldn't trust either of those products to block bleeding wood.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dark oak should have been primed. Now you understand why we kabitz about labeling paint and primer in one. It's simply not true. Does it work, sure as long as your painting over paint where you really don't need primer anyway.

What you are seeing is the dark stain bleeding thru. About the only fix is to sand, then prime, then re-paint.
Prime with oil, I assume.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd think that anything that made it through the water-based paint would have a good chance of making it through another coat of what is, basically, just more water-based paint (the latex primer), and that oil might have a better chance of blocking it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.