DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight on painted laminate countertops? I'd like to give them a cheaper make over. Any experience on the board?

·
Super moderator
1,255 Posts
I remember seeing a special bonding primer for laminates such as Formica and Wilsonart.
google it and see what is available in your area.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I have used the RustOleum counter top paint and it’s decent enough. Your counter tops won’t look fancy, but if they are dinged up, have burn marks, etc. it will hide all of that. Be aware that it’s an oil based product (odor is strong!) and there are only a dozen colors.
I used a different product a few years ago that had some promise. It didn’t cover very good so I kept putting on additional coats and I ended up with some lap marks and the customer eventually replaced them.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
After further review of my memory banks, it was the Rustoleum Transformation kit that gave me so much trouble and cost a good bit. The “Countertop Coating” worked well and only cost about $25 for a quart.

·
retired painter
11,091 Posts
IMO you are better off saving your money and replacing the countertop later on. While painted countertops can be made to look nice they won't wear near as good as the original surface.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Don't do it. My wife decided to buy a Rustoleum kit from QVC or the other home shopping channel. It looked ok for about a year and then started wearing through the high use areas next to the sink and stove. I'm in the process of scraping it off with a razor knife. It will take a long time. I may end up swapping out the counter tops.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
my suggestion: if you go the cheap painted route, don't have unrealistic high expectations of the results.
Johnny, you nailed it! I painted my kitchen countertop because my son laid a hot pan on it and scorched it. I was able to cut out the damage, fill the void, and then paint over it all. Sure wasn’t pretty but looked so much better than the black burn marks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts