DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Paint sequence

1307 Views 53 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  jeffnc
I'm painting a section of the ceiling (flat white) and a section of the wall (yellow).

Should I paint the ceiling first or the wall first?

Is there a proper sequence?

Is it easier to tape off the ceiling or wall?
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Remodel and New Build GC
11,684 Posts
Just a comment that I think is related to painting a straight line. Which I think we are talking about.

I would argue, there is no such thing as a straight line between the wall and the ceiling....yes some framing rocking get close.... (There fore, I would point out that a mechanical system (the roller pad) which has to relay on some imperfect planes/angles system is not necessarily any good answer.

I would argue that with variation in framing / rocking, a pro/ experienced painter has to often "split the difference" or decide on the primary visual view the wall will be viewed from.

Most times a wall/ceiling line will be viewed from 90 degree orientation... therefore a straight line on the wall becomes a defining critera.....even though some wall paint may end up on the ceiling or vica-versa.

Sometimes/ very-seldom, though the primary view may be down the ceiling line, whear as you want the ceiling color line "dead" straight.

I'm very reluctant that any mechanical pad system can produce a more visually appealing "straight" cut in an imperfect ceiling/wall framing than a more precise brush in the hands of a semi-experienced painter. employing their common sense judgement.

I will admit, if you are brand new to painting, you may be better off with a "roller-pad" system. And if you have to ask whether to paint the ceiling or the wall first.... better use a "roller-pad" the first time untill you learn trim technigues of painting.

11,684 Posts
ADD ON to the "sword fight"...... I think maybe some of us who have experience forget there was a learning experience in learning how to cut in.....we may now think it was simple and/or natural....

But, I just supplied rollers/tools to our HOA friends simply rolling painting a retaining wall..... honest "holidays" all over...just never painted concrete before I guess.

· Registered
9,181 Posts
I think maybe some of us who have experience forget there was a learning experience in learning how to cut in.....we may now think it was simple and/or natural....
No on both counts for me, but again for me the issue is I didn't have this forum to learn from. If I had, I could have learned it in 20 minutes. Not gotten practice of course, but learned the fundamentals of what brush to use and how to hold it. That's really 90% of it right there. As for rolling, that's another 15 minutes, of not painting random Ws of thin overworked paint.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
I just watched a couple ladies do some painting in a house reno I was part of and it was so cringworthy to watch them paint with little stubby brushes and they just kept dabbing it on there, taking like a half hour to cut in at the ceiling. I really had to bite my tongue.
Personally I really appreciate it when someone shows me how to do something faster/better than I'm doing it... but I guess it's a fine line between being helpful and being a know-it-all/mansplainer/arrogant jerk.

· Registered
9,181 Posts
I was torn because it was a very time and money sensitive job, selling an estate ASAP. And they were taking forever. I did do a small part of the painting, but they told me they wanted me to do other things. And at the end they did mention they appreciated my expertise. So I took that to mean a) they saw me paint b) they thought I had some skills, and they still didn't ask for any painting advice, so logically it seemed I shouldn't say anything. I think it might have been a case of the ladies needing to feel like that was their "thing" and they contributed that part. But it was bad. Rolling in random patterns, putting on paint way too thin, overworking the paint to the point it was drying and they were starting to pull some areas off. They got away with it to a certain extent with the flat paint - with the eggshell, not so much. Cutting in with small brushes with paint all over the brush, the handle, and their hands, covering a rate of about 2 or 3 feet per minute. Just 5 or 10 minutes with them could have saved them hours. Kind of a shame - they didn't finish, and had to leave and return the next week.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
** I took the easy way. I painted wall and ceiling the same color. Hasn't bothered me for past 16 years. I will do the same in new home.
A person can use trim at the ceiling. The trim can be painted at ground level on sawhorses then installed. I have done this also.
I watched a DIY show on TV (TOH or Bob V) and they showed an old family super mansion. The owner pointed out that walls and ceiling had been painted same color to showcase the home better. Beautiful impressive home.
It is worth considering.

· Registered
9,181 Posts
Walls and ceiling the same is possible, it just loses that contrast when anything different from white or some off white is used. As for the trim, that works too, but normally it needs to be caulked. If you don't caulk you almost always are going to see dark lines somewhere. If you do caulk and you don't paint over it, the caulk will usually yellow with time.

11,684 Posts
** I took the easy way. I painted wall and ceiling the same color. Hasn't bothered me for past 16 years. I will do the same in new home. A person can use trim at the ceiling. The trim can be painted at ground level then installed. I have done this also. I watched a DIY show on TV (TOH or Bob V) and they showed an old family super mansion. The owner pointed out that walls and ceiling had been painted same color to showcase the home better. Beautiful impressive home. It is worth considering.
** I took the easy way. I painted wall and ceiling the same color. Hasn't bothered me for past 16 years. I will do the same in new home. A person can use trim at the ceiling. The trim can be painted at ground level then installed. I have done this also. I watched a DIY show on TV (TOH or Bob V) and they showed an old family super mansion. The owner pointed out that walls and ceiling had been painted same color to showcase the home better. Beautiful impressive home. It is worth considering.
** I took the easy way. I painted wall and ceiling the same color. Hasn't bothered me for past 16 years. I will do the same in new home.
A person can use trim at the ceiling. The trim can be painted at ground level then installed. I have done this also.
I watched a DIY show on TV (TOH or Bob V) and they showed an old family super mansion. The owner pointed out that walls and ceiling had been painted same color to showcase the home better. Beautiful impressive home.
It is worth considering.
Ya know.....When it's an all white interior, many times I agree with doing the ceiling and wall the same. (I'm reticent to believe that a very minor shade/color vairiation between the two has any aesthetic value.)

Also: in painting exterior rough ship-lap siding with 3/4 trim, I watched a neighbor labor over cutting in the EDGES of his trim (which had a minor shade difference to his siding) in his trim color verses just hitting his trim EDGES in the siding color,

Several months later, when he sees me painting the edges of my trim in the siding color and then very simply facing the trim in the trim color.... he goes "Oh chit"...why didn't I think of that.

I always prepaint trim when possible.

· Registered
9,181 Posts
Everyone here knows what a bad paint job looks like, you can stop posting them. You're acting like a child.

This paint job was done with a roller. I suppose you don't use rollers either - you use your little edger all over the wall?

Building Handle House Wood Door

41 - 54 of 54 Posts