DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to do some exterior painting. The house is mostly stucco, but there's quite a bit of wood trim, most of which needs to be scraped.

Of course, every HD, Lowes, etc. have scrapers, but are all paint scrapers created equal, or can anyone recommed some that work better than others?

Thanks....

Gary

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
I am providing this photo link to show a picture of the type of scraper for flat surfaces I use most. I am not endorsing the brand but the price point, once converted to USD is probably what you should expect to pay for a good tool of this type. This type of scraper lets you get a good grip on the long handle while having the knob at the top to balance and steer. Keep the blades---preferably carbide--- sharp and replaced and pull the tool toward you to remove material.

I have a contour scraper set I use a lot around window trim, indoors and out, a great deal. It is a pull type scraper. The only drawback is the blades dull fast and I have never found more durable ones.

Chisel type scrapers that you push away from you come in handy around windows and so forth. The one part of an 11-1 painter's tool may be all you need of this type. You can get them in different widths though. You do not have the same control over scrapers you push away from you and can gouge wood or nick a finger if the blade skips away from you.

Retractable scrapers that hold plastic or steel razor blades are a must for getting paint off glass, lifting off painter's tape and so forth.

Not to harp on the point, but there may be no more dangerous a hand tool then a dull paint scraper. Keep them clean and sharp.

Of course you have different power abrasive scraping options for removing paint too ranging from power shavers and power scrapers to fine grit paper in an orbital sander.

If you have a lot of layers of paint or lots of woodwork to do? Still a relatively new kid on the block is infrared paint stripping technology. My painting career is more or less over but the last major tool I bought (and had no trouble selling) was an infrared stripper. It will take multiple layers of paint off surfaces near instantly, is easy and safe to use---especially with the alignment tools to just slide it along siding and so forth. They are pricey but you can rent them at good toolyards or online.

·
2,392 Posts
Gary, not sure where you live, or what kind of ornamental trim you have, but the best scrapers, imho, are from Stortz in Philly.
Pic is link to full selection.

Stortz has been making forged hand tools since the 1850's. They're excellent quality and last. You may see imitations of these, but they're junk. They come razor sharp, and you just file (or grind) them sharp when they dull. As the blade gets smaller from sharpening, years and years, the tool becomes even more customized for greater detail. I have one or two that are basically down to the circular shaft you see in the center of the triangle, itty bitty things that still serve a purpose. I've bought many types/brands of scrapers in my life, but none have ever come close to the functionality and quality of these. I'm not a paid spokesman, just a hardcore fan who can't recommend these highly enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts