DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pleeeeease Help me.
Hi,I am new to the site and in desperate need of help so please go easy on me :)
We had our bathroom ceiling re-plastered and put a coat of pva(5 parts water to 1 part pva) on then waited for it to dry and painted but a year later it has peeled of like wallpaper.
I have stripped it right back and am ready to go again BUT, Now i have put the pva on i am seeing a lot on the internet saying NOOOOOOO dont use pva. :eek:Yes my eyes are popping out of my head,i have already applied it. Do i take it off?If so how??
I have left it to dry for a day and a half and am wanting to paint in the morning.
If anybody can give me there advice i would so appreciate it.
Thanks.
Mel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Teminology...

When you say it was "replastered", do you mean they used actual PLASTER...OR was it normal Joint-cement/drywall-mud??

IF it was actual plaster, usually it needs to cure-out a MONTH or more b4 any primer goes on.
I wouldn't use a PVA-style primer over plaster...especially as thinned-out as you did...:whistling2:!

Now...did you re-apply the thinned-out PVA :confused1: ??!!
If so, buy an "Enamel-Undercoater" primer, like ACE's Enamel-Undercoater, Zinsser 123, or C2-One (my fave!),....and DON'T thin it at all!

Also...is there a good/operating bath-fan in there? If not, get one...and USE IT!

NOW you're ready to paint :sneaky2: !!

Faron
:scooter:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peeling problems.

Yay...so pleased to be a new comer and have such a quick response THANKYOU :thumbup:
Yes it was new plaster and i have stripped it back BUT put pva back on:wink:
Oooops.
Can i wash off the pva and go for a mist coat of matt emulsion like so many others seem to say on the net??????
Thankyou for taking me on board.
Mel.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What "pva" are you talking about? are you talking about a primer, diluted, a resin, a glue or what? and where did you get this information about diluting "pva"? like why 5:1?

Just interested, really...:)

And by the way, where are you?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Pleeeeease Help me.
We had our bathroom ceiling re-plastered and put a coat of pva(5 parts water to 1 part pva) Mel.
Well there's your problem. Never thin Latex unless you are going to spray and even then it is like 4 or 5 parts latex to one part water. Latex thinned down 5 to 1 has no chance of sticking worth a hoot.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yup...but that's why I asked the question of their location because I think they're in the UK so the products they have over there may not be what we normally see. I think they mean that PVA is something like our Elmers woodworking glue, ie a straight PVA resin emulsion that could be used as a plaster primer... we'll wait and see if they naswer or not...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.