DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in another thread about wood crystal sculptures. I haven't yet been able to find the exact sculptures I was looking for but I noticed that many of the wooden crystal sculptures are painted and show the grain through the paint. I believe I have seen others that use vinyl film that gives a cleaner look on the colored facets while letting the natural grain show through elsewhere.

My question is this: Do you prefer to use a vinyl wrap on something like a tabletop or for cabinet refacing or would you rather paint? It seems like vinyl is easier and quicker and that, if doesn't work, you can just rip it off and start over. I'd appreciate your POV on this and I thank you in advance for pointing out any pros and/or cons I haven't yet mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
by chance do you have any photos of what you are talking about ??
if you start breaking your project up into several threads, you will have
everyone so confused that you may not get any tangible help at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't find the exact image but these wooden crystal sculptures are very similar except I've seen them with the facets painted or covered with colored vinyl:

Also, this kind of thing where cabinets are refaced with vinyl instead of painted:

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
I have a suggestion . . . . make your wooden crystals.
then, after they are all cut and sanded to your satisfaction, come back
here to discuss the sealing and finish options that may be available.
the wood you use will help with the finish choice.

worrying over the finish before the project is even made is like
putting the cart before the horse, as they say.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Scupture is looked at and table is used. Different functions so not always the same finishes. If that is your question. Any applied vinyl may not apply or finish the same on very wide wood surface. May not stand up to the use either. I don't know. I've seen cars get covered with plastic but these things are still very new tech to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.