DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Paint Not Sticking

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  saggdevil 
#1 ·
HELP!!! :furious::icon_cry: The walls were clean and dust free (washed twice). I applied two coats of Zinsser 123 and two coats of SW. I had a lot of streaks showing light (obviously the first coat showing thru). I repainted about half of the room again to cover this and still have several areas showing through needing the 4th coat. What's the problem :censored: !!!
I'm losing my mind on this project :icon_confused:. This room is way too large and too much detail to do it again. I have 3 more rooms to go this size (including stripping walls of old painted paper) and don't need this type problem again. Any advice to avoid some of this repeat work?

Btw...I took ChrisN's advice and got a Wooster Sherlock roller, Purdy White Dove (cleaned of lint) sleeves and a Purdy brush.

#3 ·
Paint not sticking

I let the primer dry about 24 hours or so and then did another coat. Several days before I painted. Then 24-30 hours between coats of paint.
I did another room same way with Kilz paint and had no problems. The color is soft pale gold.

#4 ·
I am assuming the coats of primer were white, then there is your problem. Gold is like yellow and that it is a VERY tough color to get to cover. Going from whatever color your walls are now to a white primer is not really going to help. Get the primer tinted or maybe just skip the primer and just do 2-3 coats of the gold color.

#5 ·
Yes, the primer was white. I have talked to SW and the guy said I probably didn't have enought paint on the roller and should go to at least a 1/2" nap which is what the contractors use (I used 3/8"). This just seems strange, as I have already done 3 rooms with no problem (Kilz paint which went on as well if not better than the SW). The SW guy said he'd upgrade the paint from Classic 99 to Super something. So that is what I'll use for the next three rooms as they will be the same color. But a lot of that :censored: wallpaper will have to removed first. It's years of painted wallpaper over painted wallpaper :eek:. I wonder if SW would tint the Zinsser primer for me or can I use poor some paint in with it to tint??
Thanks for your advice. I need all the help I can get, lol. However even though the dinning room had 3 coats in half the room and one area with 4 coats, the room looks beautiful and professionally done.

By the way, the reason for the primer was because I had so many wall repairs and had stripped one wall of paper.

#7 ·
So Chris, should I forget the primer and prime only repair spots or have primer tinted and cover the whole room?

And I used two coats of prime in the dining room because the walls had some gas heat smoke on them and lots of repairs.

And is it necessary ever to use two coats of primer or was that just extra time and work on my part?

#9 ·
OMG....I am not believing this. After repainting some areas 3 times and some four times, I am now seeing several spots directlly under the ceiling where light is showing through on the cut in area. Guess I missed those yesterday when I did the 4th coat on some areas. This is just unbelievable.:furious:
:confused1: I don't know whether to keep using the SW or not as I have 3 more large difficult rooms to do. I did the first room of this color with Kilz paint with no problems at all. :help: :icon_confused: So what would you do?
:) SW is willing to replace the unusued and partial used gallon with the Super.... something grade. I really need some input here folks. Just not sure to continue this large job with SW or go back to Kilz paint. I'm using Kinsser 123 primer. Thanks so much for all your help. :)

#11 ·
I used the Classic 99. I currently have that on these walls being covered and it still looks good after 20 years. A pro did it along with some wallpaper, but he did not do a great job on the paper. So that's why I went with the Classic 99 again. SW is going to upgrade it to the Super.... so that's what I'll have for the next three areas. If it's a problem paint, maybe I should request the Duration. I'm not sure what to do here, as I am very discouraged with this SW paint....maybe it's the colors as someone mentioned earlier. I think it was Matthew.

#12 ·
I ues nothing but SW paint and love it. The Classic 99 is SW's low end quality paint, it stinks to high heaven and doesnt seem to apply as well as the Super or Duration. I did my sons room with Classic and the living room with Duration. Ive only used Super paint for exterior cedar siding so far and that has been excellent. The Duration is by far the better product with less VOC's and it covers better than the Classic and Super, but you will pay more for it, around here it goes for about 40$ a gallon so I try to get it when they have a sale. Ive never used Zinsser before but did you ask the SW guy if their paint would be ok on top of this? Im assuming it shouldnt be a problem.

I use SW roller covers, 3/8 inch is all you should beed for smooth walls,I think 1/2" is too much nap and wont be smooth looking.

I love Purdy brushes but for cutting in I seem to get a better line with a SW brush made for latex paint only, not sure why. I like to use a 2" cut in brush.

I use the SW primer and only 1 coat of it. Then I put on 2 coats of SW paint, even if its Duration as it gives a nice coat that leaves no streaks. Ive not had any issues so far with SW paint. Hope you get it figured out.

#13 ·
I have a feeling your roller technique may need some work. How are you using the roller? Most folks here use a 3/8" roller... The "standard" technique is to load the roller, do a single 8' - 10' floor-to-ceiling stripe, backroll once or twice, re-roll the previous stripe once or twice, and then reload and move on to the next stripe. If you try and cover more than that, or "squeeze" paint out of the roller, you WILL end up with a streaky mess. Let the roller do the work; don't press on it.

SirWired

#14 ·
Well, I don't really know what the problem is unless it was the roller technique. I usually did two two stripes coverage with a loaded roller; so maybe I stretched it too thin.

Anyway, some walls have 3 coats and some have 4. And it still needs some areas touched up.

SW replaced the paint for me this afternoon with the Super Paint; however I had to sign a hold harmless agreement, lol. They said this Super is guaranteed to be one coat coverage...so we'll see. If it doesn't work in next room, then I'm going back to the Kilz paint. The Super is $45 or $46 per gallon here. I will be using the Zinsser primer again, but will have SW tint it for me when I start the next room. I need a few weeks break. as I have been doing this 3 months now and I'm tired. :)

#16 · (Edited)
saggdevil said:
They said this Super is guaranteed to be one coat coverage...
WOW!!! :eek:
When did that start?

Sorry, their marketing dept or sales managers, or individual retail sales personnel, must be having some sort of fits or hallucinations or something

SuperPaint is not my favorite paint, but it's not bad
But is by no means a "one coat paint" any more than any other "slightly less than premium" line, which SuperPaint is), or any other "premium" or "ultra-premium" line

I wouldn't even call Cashmere or Deep Colors/Accents (excellent deep color paints)...or for that matter Ben Moore's Aura (top dog in deep colors) a "One Coat Paint Guaranteed" Paint

I'll let you in on a little secret...we painters have been looking for the True One Coat Paint since we were mashing berries with stones and smearing dead things on cave walls
We do know the signs of the coming of the True One Coat paint
It is foretold by our elders:
The Only True One Coat Paint is applied by Fairies Riding Unicorns

My question is:
Who said that this SuperPaint is the True One Coat Paint and will they put it in writing?
I've got some Paint Zealots to assemble (actually we meet this Tuesday Night), and I'd like some more information on how to proceed
Like should we budget for rocks for a stoning, palms for a parade (maybe both!)...or perhaps some other sort of Roman Justice (crucifixion) or Accolade (Godhood)?
...no biggie really...just wondering....

#18 ·
Thanks Chris...I did plan to change from 3/8 to 1/2" nap for the next room. The guy at SW suggested that when I told him of the problem. He said the Super paint was guaranteed one coat coverage, but I still plan to use two coats. I think two coats give a more true color and especially the depth of color. Also, someone else on here mentioned that any yellow based color is hard to work with, so that might have something to do with the problem. Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted when I start the next room. It's been fun and a learning experience, but this is hard work, lol. I was used to being in an office all my life, not on a ladder:)...but I still like
it. Guess if I was younger I'd have more stamina for this ladder, ya think??

#19 ·
Well Slick...I don't know the guy's name (senior moment I guess) but it's the SW store in Huntington, WV (304-525-9103). The front of the can says one-coat hide and also says 25-year warranty. No, they did not give me a written guarantee (does anyone anywhere, lol?) However, they gave me 3 gallons in exchange for what I had purchased in the Classic 99. They upgraded it at no charge because I was very unhappy with the Classic. Because they upgraded at no addl charge, I had to sign an agreement releasing them, lol. Therefore, I don't even have a receipt to go back on if the paint does fail. But I did tell him, if this paint doesn't do any better in the next room, then I'll go back to the Kilz paint which I used in two rooms with no problems at all. I had used the same color in a hallway only Kilz instead of SW (weekend and they were closed). It covered beautifully and looks great. (Kilz paint is guaranteed one-coat coverage, l0l. I used only one coat in the kitchen and it looks great, but if I was doing it over I would do two coats. It was a "whoops" that it only got one. Guess I got a little ahead of myself on that one, lol:yes:.

So anyway, the guy at SW says he's used this Super paint and it was great for him (but he's a salesman). We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

#20 ·
OMG...the ongoing problem with the SW Classic 99. After all this, I just noticed I have some shiny spots. So what's up with that. The other three rooms don't have this problem and two of them are semi-gloss (kit/bath). The other room is Kilz satin in same color as the SW and that room looks great. Btw...after about 24-36 hours the SW paint would separate in the can. When I told the SW guy that he said is is possibly a bad batch and they will analyze it. Ever had that type of problem??

#21 ·
Consumer Report Rating for Interior paint:

I'm interest in you posting because I'm looking for interior paints myself. So I'm offering some of my research that seems to be relevant to your painting problems.

Just in case you haven't seen it, several reasonably priced interior paints rated at the top in ConsumerReport's ratings, and are better than average in its hiding ability. The rankings here is CR overall rank. I have included only the ones with better-than-average hiding ability, unless noted otherwise.

(Low luster paints)
#1. Behr Premium Plus Enamel (Home Depot) $24/gallon
#3. Kilz Casual Colors (Walmart) $23/gallon
#4 Benjamin Moore Aura $57/gallon

For comparison...
#17 Sherwin-Williams Harmony $39/gallon (rated worst than average for hiding ability)

(Flat paints) these are rated slightly differently among the brands:
#1 Behr Premium Plus Enamel (Home Depot) $22/gallon
#6 Sherwin-Williams Harmony $36/gallon (only average in hiding ability)
#9 Kilz Casual Colors (Walmart) ($19/gallon) - has better than average hiding ability

The middle-of-the-pack hiding ability may explain some of the problems you are seeing with SW paint, but you really need to check out the Consumer Report for 2008/2009 and check out all eight test criteria that makes up the overall ranking. Some of those criterias, such as hiding ability, may be much more important to you than something like 'mildew resistance' or 'fading'.

Not all the pro's agree with what ConsumerReports say, but a contractor approves of my choice my choice of an exterior paint based on ConsumerReport June 2009 rankings. Hope this helps.

#22 ·
dpny...thanks for your input. Apparently the Classic 99 was a bad batch and not a common problem. They replaced it with the Superpaint which was very good in application and looks great. I am happy with the Superpaint. I use Satin for the living areas and semi-gloss for kitchen and baths.

As far as your recommendations, I have used Behr paint once and that was enough for a lifetime. That is by far the worst paint I've ever used. However they do have beautiful colors to chose from, but most anyone can mix their colors.

The Kilz Casual Colors - I used it in two rooms and had no problems. It applied well and looks very good.

The Ben More line - unfortunately I cannot get it here. It's available about 40 miles from here, but not the Aura line. Was told it's an additional $20,000.00 just to set up the display, lol.

So since SW is only a few blocks from here, that will continue to be my mostly one-stop shop for paints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.