DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. can semi gloss finish be painted over satin finish without scuffing?
2. and can semi gloss finish be painted over an eggshell finish without scuffing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input. I am now really confused...:confused1:. I have two saying its not a good idea to paint semi gloss over satin and eggshell without buffing/scuffing
and I have two paint stores telling me I don't need to worry about it since the existing finishes are lower gloss than the new paint.

I guess when in doubt, buff/scuff !

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Thank you for the input. I am now really confused...:confused1:. I have two saying its not a good idea to paint semi gloss over satin and eggshell without buffing/scuffing
and I have two paint stores telling me I don't need to worry about it since the existing finishes are lower gloss than the new paint.

What paint stores are feeding you this nonsense?

I guess when in doubt, buff/scuff !

You got it:yes:

·
Registered
565 Posts
yes especially with 100 % acrylic paint:yes:. even the cheep stuff will grip. is it wrong to sand ?:no:. more important than sanding in this case imo is to make surface clean ,clean around switch plates,kitchen walls ceilings,around door knobs.bath rooms hair spray,bla bla bla.always rinse with clean water so no cleaner residue is left .residue is almost as bad as what your trying to remove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts