DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I recently painted a dresser using Olympic Assure latex paint. Prep work included sanding and then priming with Kilz. After I sprayed 2 coats of the latex via HVLP gun. I want to spray a water based Minwax Polycrylic on top to add some hardness to the the dresser as there will be items placed on top of it.

Do I have to wait until the latex fully cures (2 to 4 weeks) before applying the topcoat or can I spray right away and only wait for the clear to cure before using.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A little late now, but if you are going to clear coat over paint, you should use flat as your base coat.

If you're only clearcoating to add hardness, you are not doing it right. Base coat, clear coat has a different look to it. Thats the only reason to do it.

Its not too late to just use a good product instead. Cabinet Coat for Benjamin Moore is good. Or you could have just used an oil base from the get go. Advance (Benjamin Moore also gets really hard. Polycrylic is not a good product anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what you are saying is that regardless of look (sheen) the clearcoat adds no hardness whatsoever to a semi-gloss latex finish?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yes, and no... A chain's only as strong as its weakest link. I dont think polycrylic is very durable. If your base coat is soft, and not adhered well, the clearcoat isnt going to stop chips and cracks. The biggest problem with putting latex on shelves, is that it takes a long time to cure. For about three weeks, it is scratch prone, but after that, it gets pretty hard.

When I paint my guitars, I use flat black spray paint, then either aerosol automotive cleat coat, or an oil based polyurethane. The aerosol clear coat EVENTUALLY gets super rock hard, but for the first month, I cant even put in in a case, cuz its so soft. I do that for looks, though.

There are paints that are just as durable, if not more, than polycrylic, without adding the extra step. Durapoxy from Kelly Moore is a good example. Its a straight latex that has a very fast cure, and high durability. I use it on low end cabinetry. It also sticks to damn near anything.

All in all, I think a high end latex is more durable than a low end clear coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.