DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone ever encountered this problem after painting:

I applied Behr (always had good results...) gloss latex paint to some exterior wooden porch railings. They dried to the touch in under an hour, and looked great while it continued to dry for the next 36 HOURS. Then it rained overnight. The next morning, the surface of everything I painted was covered with thousands of tiny BUBBLES (see photos), ranging mostly in size from sand grains to sesame-seed, on horizontal and vertical surfaces. Yes,I followed all the universal requirements for proper painting and all of the directions on the can, including sanding, having a good clean and DRY surface,priming, etc. It was summer, 65-72 degrees outside, no humidity. Strangely, after a day of sun following the rain, most of the smaller bubbles have seem to have receded into the surface of the paint, however hundreds of larger bubbles remain and will require sanding to remove. Other areas painted at the same time but under cover which received no rain were unaffected. Not a thing on the paint can or Behr website mentions ANYTHING about rain-readiness for the paint, only to wait four weeks before washing. I'd have been happy to cover it up if there was any mention any mention of needing more time before exposing to rain... but I've never had a problem with any paint that has dried even just 12 hours before being exposed to rain, let alone 36, until this nightmare. Any ideas? :vs_mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was over Behr latex primer applied a week before, and that was on top of some 20 year old oil based paint or bare wood. (And sorry, I thought I was posting this in the paining forum and can't figure out how to move it...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.