DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't paint too often but it happens and as of now I have done some touching up and found myself with 5 dirty brushes, 3 of which needed cleaning because they were too good to throw away as I usually do. I realized why I buy the cheap throw-away brushes because cleaning them is about as boring and annoying a job as you can find. I really do hate it.

What experiences do you have with cleaning machines? I have seen a couple of washing machines for paint brushes such as this one

but never tried any. Can you recommend anything good? I can honestly spend a little on making the tedious work of painting easier......

·
Premium Member
7,894 Posts
I like my trusty, dependable spinner tool.

·
Registered
565 Posts
laundry tub,wire brush, brush comb, green scrub pad:yes: . i never use a spinner on brush:no:. i spin my brush with my hands:yes:. i dont think a brush cleaning machine would work very good:no:. but hey a lot of engineers ,inventors, you know people that were pocket protectors for their pens say it does work:yes:. if you get one , now you have brushes to clean ,and you have a machine to clean:(. but anyways let us if you get one and how it works:thumbsup:

·
2,392 Posts
On a serious note, they are the way of the future. How long do you think they're going to allow painters to let paint laden water go into the drain? They clean the brush (so it's said) and they also clean the water after. The commercial ones sell for a few grand, so I'm told. With what Uncle Sham is doing to the paint industry, I'm happier to be on the way out than on the way in!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny, I have never seen those spinners.

Thing is, many paints cannot be cleaned with water but requires white spirit. It is inexpensive but I am not comfortable with using more than a minimum as it is being poured into the sink (oh, and that also needs cleaning afterwards). I would like a machine that is simply a little washing machine, preferably one that is able to filter and reuse the liquid, whatever it is. As jsheridan said above, pouring it all in the sink is not the perfect solution. I would like a device that cleaned the brushes effectively with water or spirit and left most of the paint in filters that could be left at the appropriate place, wherever you take old paint and chemicals.

Maybe I simply need to make it myself. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thing is, many paints cannot be cleaned with water but requires white spirit. It is inexpensive but I am not comfortable with using more than a minimum as it is being poured into the sink (oh, and that also needs cleaning afterwards).
WTH You should pour all of the thinners/solvents into a old paint can and let them dry with the lid off.......it doesnt take long they are spirits. I'd think that pouring solvents and paint down a drain would violate many laws both local and federal. But who cares right, let the idiots down stream drink it..........geez

·
Registered
212 Posts
just pour it along the fence line with your used motor oil. problem solved.
O come on the creek at the back of the property is where old motor oil goes........ it's just past the burn barrel

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Funny, I have never seen those spinners.

Thing is, many paints cannot be cleaned with water but requires white spirit. It is inexpensive but I am not comfortable with using more than a minimum as it is being poured into the sink :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:(oh, and that also needs cleaning afterwards). I would like a machine that is simply a little washing machine, preferably one that is able to filter and reuse the liquid, whatever it is. As jsheridan said above, pouring it all in the sink is not the perfect solution. I would like a device that cleaned the brushes effectively with water or spirit and left most of the paint in filters that could be left at the appropriate place, wherever you take old paint and chemicals.

Maybe I simply need to make it myself. :)
I certainly hope you are kidding

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
What goes into the sink goes to a wastewater treatment plant, where it gets cleaned. The unit you say you need, the ones that clean the water after, are supposedly already on the shelves in California, but they're not cheap. Chrisn, I don't think he is.[/quote]

I did'nt think so either, but I will hold back my true feelings so as not to get banned:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts