DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to finish bathroom in basement, but they put such a long straight piece coming straight down from the upstairs shower that, the basement cieling would be to low..

can i put a couple of 45 degree elbows in the horizontal piece so i can raise the p trap up closer to floor? or will that slow down the drain of upstairs shower?

Picture is attatched...

thanks
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Since the basement was not finished at the time, it was simpler to do it that way. As long as it still runs downhill, you could shorten up the trap. Don't go cutting floor joists.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Keep in mind that you CAN'T use offset fittings to make vertical offsets between the vent and the fixture trap. It needs to be made before the vent.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That would result in an "S-trap" which is prone to siphonage. You need to raise not only the trap, but also the connection to the vent such that there's a maximum pitch of 1/4" per foot along the entire waste pipe between the trap and its vent.

This would mean drilling the joists, and re-routing the entire run. Keep in mind, you're only allowed to drill the middle one third of a joist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it ok to put a couple 45's in before the p trap? (right under the drain?)
there is no way to raise where it goes into the vent

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Heck that fitting aint even legal where i'm at. Guess i'm out of this conversation....

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are there no other fittings between there and the p-trap?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Heck that fitting aint even legal where i'm at. Guess i'm out of this conversation....

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are there no other fittings between there and the p-trap?
Thats too funny! Side out santees were outlawed here long time ago. Oh well.
Whats on top that tee? Can you put the shower trap arm on top and drill the joists?

edit: just reviewed original photo, No matter what you do, you will probably have the bottom of the trap exposed unless you can keep all of the trap arm up high in the same joist bay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all i need is to get the bottom of p trap even with the sewer drain.. it does not have to be up in the floor joist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts