DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
If this is a certified installer for Carrier products, then you have a good chance of getting this resolved if the installing dealer is also good at troubleshooting the products. Get him back before the warranty runs out. Explain that the new system AC is not running as expected. I am not a pro but there are a number of reasons for poor AC. Just explain to him that if he cannot work out a solution that you will have to call "Carrier" to send one of their technical experts to assist the installer. If you don't get satisfaction from either, then its time to call an attorney and sue them both.

However, one thing you mentioned about is cooking. This can be considered as competition for AC due to excessive humidity and heat if its not properly directed outside via exhaust fans and closing off the door leading to the basement while cooking.
Was the house checked for heat gain and are you sure the ducts are properly sized? This is part of any AC installation job.

I went through a simular situation with a "Bryant" dealer and I contacted "Bryant" directly and explain the footdraging I was experiencing with the dealer. After no reply from them for two weeks, I emailed and called again stating that if they do not set up an appointment with me to come to my residence along with the installing dealer, that my next step was to see an attorney. That got their attention.
A Bryant techical representative called me back and ask for all the details of my problem and type of equipment installed. After hearing me out, the representative said he feels sure he knows what the problem is; but will wait until he sees the installation and put a test on the system before any recommendation.
The issue was resolved that day. All that was needed was a TXV (Thermal Expansion Valve) and a new upgraded thermostat.

Why it was not installed with the rest of the AC, I do not know. And why I needed a new thermostat, I do not know either.
I can only speculate that the installer (the owner and helpers) lacked some the knowledge that is required for a good working AC system. In the future, if I need service, I will have to call someone else because I should not have had to contact the "Bryant Company" to get the installer to correct the situation. Good Luck.

I forgot to mention to make sure all your return vents are fully opened.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Airconditioning problems mostly need a hands on inspection. Like I mentioned before, I am not a pro and can only offer limited advice. It might help if you clearify what you mean by 2 return air vents at 650 feet etc. Are you refering to length of duct runs? That's a big house you got if thats what you mean. This information would help a pro along with size in btu of furnace, AC in tons, size of discharge and return ducts; both visable and in the wall sizes. Don,t go by the discharge or return cover plate size because the duct itself maybe smaller or larger; take the cover plates off to check. The dimensions of the house including amount of rooms to be cooled. Is it a single or a twin home? Height of ceilings, sizes of each room? Type and thickness of insulation in the walls and attic floor and is the attic ceiling vented properly.

These are the things that need to be taken into account for an qualified installer to evaluate the proper equipment to install.

Just on a hunch, I suspect that your Carrier system is the same as Bryants as I heard that it is so and your thermostat is basically the same as mine. But regardless, check your humidity setting at the thermostat. It usually should be set between 50 and 55% relative humidity depending on your own personal comfort.

In my own situation, my complaint was that my AC was cooling the house but was not removing sufficient humidity. The temperature on the main floor was 74 degrees but the relative humidity was 60%. A TXV and a new thermostat corrected the problem. MY system was only 1-1/2 years old before this correction.

Have you called in a technician to check your system?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts