DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The house we live in has an overhead microwave with exhaust built in. The exhaust is basically useless and I hate having a microwave oven my stove. My wife and I have been thinking about switching to a hood exhaust. I was looking for an opinion on whether you think the switch is worth it? If so what do I need to know or look for when purchasing a hood exhaust system? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
37,222 Posts
Reason it may be useless in the filters plugged up or the plates in place so it's just recirulating the air instead of blowing it out the back or the roof.
Where do you plan in putting the microwave if it's not over the stove?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reason it may be useless in the filters plugged up or the plates in place so it's just recirulating the air instead of blowing it out the back or the roof.
Where do you plan in putting the microwave if it's not over the stove?
Looking to get a countertop microwave and we have a nice area for it that isn't being used for anything else.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would say that the most important thing is the CFM rating of the fan. The more smoke / cooking odors you want to exhaust the higher the CFM rating needs to be. A lot depends on your stove / cooktop. Our has a grill built into the center and requires a minimum 750 CFM fan to handle. Works ok for steaks but can't keep up with the smoke from grilling brats. Think about what you cook and go from there. I would guess that 250 - 300 CFM would be about the minimum for an effective vent hood. You should also make sure that you can vent the exhaust to outside the building.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I agree with Joe post #2 . I would check everything before canning the Micro/Hood generally they work very well and have good exhaust speeds. Find the installation manual and make sure the fan is installed in the right exhaust position(most have a couple settings) up thru the roof, out the back, recirculate. Also check the filters as Joe said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts