DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I only need a little sample can to confirm color choice. Samples at SW are $9, at Lowes samples are $5 something.

i’m still undecided between two coats of super paint or one coat of primer and two coats of emerald.

I can’t tell what kind of finish garage doors have around here. They’re not glossy so flat or matt. What is common for garage doors?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

·
retired painter
13,663 Posts
I can’t tell what kind of finish garage doors have around here. They’re not glossy so flat or matt. What is common for garage doors?
Hard to say what is common in your area. Back in the 80s flat paint was common in the greater Orlando area. Personally I think satin looks nicer and it will clean a little easier. Gloss can look good but if there are any dents in the door I'd avoid it!

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hard to say what is common in your area. Back in the 80s flat paint was common in the greater Orlando area. Personally I think satin looks nicer and it will clean a little easier. Gloss can look good but if there are any dents in the door I'd avoid it!
Thanks, I’ll go with satin.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Scrubbed the door today with Dawn detergent, sponge and big scrub brush. Rinsed using garden hose with nozzle and more paint came off.

PLAN TOMORROW: final scrub with green kitchen scouring pad, let dry 12 hrs then paint.

A CONCERN: used denatured alcohol on a side steel door and paint easily came off. When I used it on the overhead door it only faintly got on the rag. Decided to prime first. What Exterior primer is best IF door may have old oil-based paint? Zinsser 123?

Not doing the side frame of the opening now. Saving that until the temperatures drop a little. Just need to get this door done because it looks shabby.

I’ve read Not to paint when it’s humid or above 75° it’s 90-95° and it’s Florida it’s always humid.

·
retired painter
13,663 Posts
I doubt it has oil base paint on it and even if it did it's degraded enough where latex will adhere ok.
The biggest problem with humidity is it slows down the drying time. Heat can be an issue but as long as you paint the door while it's in the shade it shouldn't be a big issue. If the door is too hot to touch - it's too hot to paint [the paint will dry too fast]

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I doubt it has oil base paint on it and even if it did it's degraded enough where latex will adhere ok.
The biggest problem with humidity is it slows down the drying time. Heat can be an issue but as long as you paint the door while it's in the shade it shouldn't be a big issue. If the door is too hot to touch - it's too hot to paint [the paint will dry too fast]
This is a South door but maybe I can get an early start tomorrow if there’s no rain. As far as metal contracting be glad you don’t have my back porch. it’s screened in with aluminum panels at the bottom portion. Late afternoon after the sun has been on it the bottom panel sounds like a bomb going off when it contracts.

My SIL up north just had her family room painted and she sent a photo. I couldn’t believe it. It’s the same color I picked out for my garage door.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I never thought about what you professional painters go through if you help home owners select a color. I don’t think I’d have the patience. I’d have to tell them when they choose a color I’d do the painting.

now I have 14 beige/ivory chip samples taped up.

·
retired painter
13,663 Posts
never thought about what you professional painters go through if you help home owners select a color.
Usually the customer has at least a general idea of what color they want. I try not to pick colors for them but sometimes they pick colors that I think might not look great and then I'll see if I can steer them to something that will look better.

Most paint stores today have software that can take your pic and insert their colors. It's also available online.

·
Registered
Yes
427 Posts
I never thought about what you professional painters go through if you help home owners select a color.
I rely on my wife for color coordination. I really do not care how she decorates the house provided its not pink or floral(grin). One time, outside kitchen door she choose cranberry. Spot on the can when mixed didn't look bad. Applied on the door...pink.
She found another color(big grin).

Good luck...Don.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Primed the door today.

WHY does it say “must be top-coated within 14 days”.

Probably wouldn’t use again because it’s too thick. Feeling insecure about it Because the kid I bought it from at SW didn’t know what a sash brush was.

Liquid Bottle Drink Fluid Alcoholic beverage

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I didn’t think I could possibly have one more question,

I like Lowes for SW paint better than the SW store. BUT, does Lowes carry all of the different finishes and the different types of paint that the SW stores carry?

But I think I’ll go to HD paint department for s brush because the one lady seemed the most knowledgeable and the expensive brush I bought said it was firm/stiff but it was tooo soft. I threw it away. My 10 yr old brushes weren’t cleaned well. Threw those away.

By the time I finish paining at the end of the day the paint is harden up towards the handle and I can never get them clean.

·
retired painter
13,663 Posts
Lowes will only have a limited selection of SWP coatings. Typically brand name paints at a big box are the lower tier paints of that brand.

You want a good brush, I detest painting with a bargain basement brush! If you 'comb' the bristles with a wire brush it will remove most/all of the dried paint on the upper bristles. Soaking the brush can help some too.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Lowes will only have a limited selection of SWP coatings. Typically brand name paints at a big box are the lower tier paints of that brand.

You want a good brush, I detest painting with a bargain basement brush! If you 'comb' the bristles with a wire brush it will remove most/all of the dried paint on the upper bristles. Soaking the brush can help some too.
Whew, good to know about Lowes.

Went to SW store tonight an they were great. Plus a painter came in and helped me pick out a brush. (Purdys blue bristle). Durant was shockingly expensive but the guy gave me 25% off. I said yrs ago because I painted two houses they gave me 30% off. I was surprised when he said “OK I’ll give you 30% off.”

21 - 36 of 36 Posts