DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TakeCareMyHouse
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to unclog the bathtub also. I think I know everything I need to do except for one thing. My overflow plate has teeth on it, and I don't know if they face upwards or downwards when I put the overflow plate back in. That's the firs two images. What should these teeth grab onto when inserted back in the overflow hole? I forgot to pay attention when I took the plate off and I can't find any videos with this overflow plate. Looks like newer plates don't have this problem. I attached pix to show what I mean. I also attached a pix of the hole and the front and back of the plate; it has a gasket in it that's part of it.

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,514 Posts
They go down so you don't see it from above. They are there to let the water into the pipe.

·
TakeCareMyHouse
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to make sure, do I caulk any part of the overflow cap in the tub? Also, just making sure everything looks right. The teeth are as down as I can get them. If I don't need to caulk this, I' finished here. If I do need to caulk this cap, how much and around what points?

Also, do the two gaskets look correct? The one gasket fits perfect in the cap, but is too large for the overflow hole. Just want someone to confirm.

The previous post said the purpose of the overflow cap was there to let the water out. Maybe clarify a little. Does this mean that if too much water is in the tub or shower somehow, the excess water will spill into the tub drain through this overflow hole? If so, the cap itself seems to be designed pretty snug against water going one way or the other as the two gaskets appear to block any water either way. Seems like a contradiction.

Note that my overflow hole has the screw slot in the middle of it; thus, this tub does not appear designed with the usual drain plug assembly I see on most you tube videos that would usually go down this hole. Even worse, I cannot un-clog the tub through the overflow hole because that screw hole in the overflow is too big for a snake head to slip through, as I found out this week.

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,514 Posts
Just to make sure, do I caulk any part of the overflow cap in the tub? Also, just making sure everything looks right. The teeth are as down as I can get them. If I don't need to caulk this, I' finished here. If I do need to caulk this cap, how much and around what points?

Also, do the two gaskets look correct? The one gasket fits perfect in the cap, but is too large for the overflow hole. Just want someone to confirm.

The previous post said the purpose of the overflow cap was there to let the water out. Maybe clarify a little. Does this mean that if too much water is in the tub or shower somehow, the excess water will spill into the tub drain through this overflow hole? If so, the cap itself seems to be designed pretty snug against water going one way or the other as the two gaskets appear to block any water either way. Seems like a contradiction.

Note that my overflow hole has the screw slot in the middle of it; thus, this tub does not appear designed with the usual drain plug assembly I see on most you tube videos that would usually go down this hole. Even worse, I cannot un-clog the tub through the overflow hole because that screw hole in the overflow is too big for a snake head to slip through, as I found out this week.
Take the gasket out, that will just stop the water that you want to go in there. You don't need to caulk it. The way you have it is right except for the gasket.

·
TakeCareMyHouse
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I see.

I realize that whoever put that gasket in the cap didn't know what they were doing? Would you agree? This is possible, as I bought a flipped house, and there were other problems as well, besides an unneeded gasket in the cap. There is some strange plumbing in the master bathroom that I will tackle when I have a break later.

Regardless about the gasket, I will not caulk the overflow cap, in accordance with the advice here.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Your overflow on the tub would be just fine without any use a bit ugly. The gasket can be there.....or not be there.....so the orig person didn’t do anything wrong that I can see. Ron

·
TakeCareMyHouse
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, sounds good. This project, too, is also finished. I know its a minor thing, but I know what to do about this. Yes, it is ugly for now, but the next step, later, will be to make it better. For now, I finished everything and put everything away.

Again, thanks for all your help and your patience with my questions. It is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
The teeth rest on the surface of the tub at the bottom of the overflow hole. Not grabbing onto anything. The teeth are there to establish the width of the gap around the bottom of the plate which is the overflow path.

You must have a gasket on the back side of the tub larger than the hole in the tub. There must be a flange on the overflow pipe almost as large as the hole in the tub if not a little larger, supposedly hidden by a gasket behind the tub as shown in your picture. The end of the overflow pipe behind comes through the gasket.

If the old gasket behind the tub biodegraded or disintegrated, clean off the flange and the back of the hole to get rid of residues before installing a new gasket. Suggest making a long loop of thin string or heavy thread (or dental floss) to loop through the gasket so you don't lose it if it accidentally falls down behind.

The correct sequence of parts is, flange of overflow pipe behind the tub, gasket, tub, (no gasket, no caulk), metal plate.

·
TakeCareMyHouse
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@AllanJ, yes, that will help. Good points there. Everything is in the order you say it is. Good ideas there, though. Really appreciate the advice. I looked at some pictures on the internet to see what you meant, and I get it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts