DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Am troubleshooting a GE gas oven. The burners work fine, however the ignitor is not kicking on at all. I'd replaced the ignitor 2 years ago, that time it would glow but not ignite. At the moment it does nothing at all.

I checked the ignitor for continuity and got a reading of 5+ M ohms, which seems super high.

I checked the gas valve as well and it was more normal.

Is that reading as high as it seems, and if so does that mean the ignitor needs to be replaced again?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Sounds like the igniter is bad. Idk. Did you make sure the igniter was isolated and not connected to anything when you took the readings? Did you use a digital or analog meter. What settings did you use?

There are a couple great appliance techs that frequent this forum. Please wait for one of them to respond. Thanks.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
you need to make a voltage check at this point. Check to see if you are getting 110 volts to ignitor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so i checked the voltage at the plugs where the ignitor plugs in. I got a reading of 5 volts. As I am always worried im using the thing wrong, i tested a 2 all outlets that both clocked 124 volts.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
model# please

·
Super Moderator
39,464 Posts
5 mega ohms, the HSI is done for.

A 240 volt ignitor wouldn't get hot with that resistance.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
you need 120 volts across the leads of the ignitor

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok very strange. Went back to redo my tests and came up with 0 resistance on the ignitor and 125 volts at the plugs. Not sure what i did differently but went ahead and ordered a new ignitor. Guess my multimetering needs practice.

·
Super Moderator
39,464 Posts
0 resistance, or infinite resistance.

·
Super Moderator
39,464 Posts
0 resistance, though my understanding has been that those terms are interchangeable
No.

Zero resistance means no resistance to flow.

Infinite resistance, means electric can't flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts