DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to plumbing, but I'm handy, learn quickly and do most of my own car/truck repairs.

I got a leak somewhere between the city shut off and the concrete wall which the main supply line runs through and into the basement. The copper pipe is about 5/8" or 3/4" and is encased in what looks like a larger galvanized pipe, which more than likely runs from the city supply line and terminates flush with the interior concrete basement wall. Before closing the city shut off valve, water was spraying out of the space between the galvanized pipe and the copper pipe.

I have already dug out the exterior side of the basement wall and exposed the galvanized pipe, which again, encases the copper pipe.

I was thinking about digging another hole to expose the city supply side, disconnecting the pipe that runs to our house and then pulling out the copper pipe from the basement side.

What do you think? Any suggestions would be helpful. This is new to me.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
This a a new one to me.---I'll bet the old galvanized feed line failed and a smaller copper line was fished through the old galvanized.

Lets see what one of the licensed plumbers has to suggest.----Mike----

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This a a new one to me.---I'll bet the old galvanized feed line failed and a smaller copper line was fished through the old galvanized.

Lets see what one of the licensed plumbers has to suggest.----Mike----
If that's the case, then there may be hope for pulling out the failed copper pipe and pushing another through. The exposed copper pipe from within the basement looked rigid to me and not very flexible, but that doesn't mean it's the same type of pipe encased within the galvanized pipe. Also, the orientation of the exterior pipe and the location of the city shut off suggests that it's not a straight line connection.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
If the copper was stuffed into the old galvanized it will be a small miracle if the copper can be pulled out.

I'd be looking at the cost of renting a mini-excavator while we wait for Lateral Concepts---the E-Plumber
Alan or one of the other respected plumbers to show up.---Mike---

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can pull out the old copper pipe, I'm leaning towards using pex. Since it'll be encased in a steel pipe, there won't be any weight bearing issues on the pex and no UV exposure. What is the expected lifetime of pex under this scenario?

Any comments? Good/bad?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with Oh'Mike-it'll be unlikely that the copper is free enough to slide out, but if it is-you are good to go. For your sake, i hope it works! Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts