DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my thermostat read 45 degrees outside when it was actually 31 degrees. I have a heat pump system so I am concerned that this could cause an efficiency issue. Any advice about how to trouble shoot the problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
What thermostat are we talking about? Does it use a remote sensor?

Some thermostats only show the outdoor weather for eye candy only. The heat pump does it's own thing. Better thermostats can lock out the compressor below a certain point, which is where you have a concern i guess. The even more expensive ones use internet weather for temperature. It's not as accurate and usually only eye candy.

If it's a remote sensor type on a Honeywell, it can be slightly adjusted but yours seems to either have a poor connection somewhere or is being influenced by something. (ie. Bricks, unit housing, sun, etc)

Cheers!

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
If it's a remote sensor type on a Honeywell, it can be slightly adjusted

Cheers!
Actually, some of the honeywell outdoor sensors (like the redlink wireless sensor) can not be adjusted or re calibrated. Mine actually "wanders" up to 3 degrees and I can't do a thing about it. Fortunately I use an external lock out separate from the stat so it's not a big deal.

@OP
45 vs 31 is not going to make any real difference efficiency wise. Most heat pumps can work just fine at 31. Some can go down as low as -12 and still save money (compared to a heat strip). At 31 and below you will start to notice defrost sessions taking place, but you're still saving money compared to the heat strips. Now if your temperatures in your area do go down to -12 or better then you have a problem with locking out with that much error in your sensor and it would be well worth replacing.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Actually, some of the honeywell outdoor sensors (like the redlink wireless sensor) can not be adjusted or re calibrated. Mine actually "wanders" up to 3 degrees and I can't do a thing about it. Fortunately I use an external lock out separate from the stat so it's not a big deal.

@OP
45 vs 31 is not going to make any real difference efficiency wise. Most heat pumps can work just fine at 31. Some can go down as low as -12 and still save money (compared to a heat strip). At 31 and below you will start to notice defrost sessions taking place, but you're still saving money compared to the heat strips. Now if your temperatures in your area do go down to -12 or better then you have a problem with locking out with that much error in your sensor and it would be well worth replacing.
3 degrees is a big difference from the OPs 14. Even the redlink could be adjusted, but to might need to be an electronics tinkerer to do it. (Not exactly DIY friendly, but it's possible) However at the point, i doubt it's the thermister, but actually the power or control circuit that's bad. That's when replacement is way easier.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If this sensor goes from the inside ( tstat ? ) to the outside , I would think a bad / loose electrical connection could be a possibility ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
3 degrees is a big difference from the OPs 14. Even the redlink could be adjusted, but to might need to be an electronics tinkerer to do it. (Not exactly DIY friendly, but it's possible) However at the point, i doubt it's the thermister, but actually the power or control circuit that's bad. That's when replacement is way easier.

Cheers!
No. The redlink wireless is non adjustable PERIOD. There are no internal trim pots for adjustment, and it is all micro surface mount electronics which is too small for even a good electronic tech to replace by hand. The software for the thermostat itself offers offset adjustment for the indoor sensor but nothing for the outdoor sensor.

It is simply not adjustable at all.

For me it's 3 degrees C . I would imagine the OP is talking F so my difference and his aren't as far out as it may appear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts