DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello~! I have an outside spigot that is leaking. Here is the photo. I've done research and I've read to just turn the spigot with a wrench and it should come off, but I haven't seen any that look like mine. I've also tried and it doesnt budge.

Do I have the kind that I can just turn or do I have to cut and all that? I cannot get behind it b.c. everything is in the wall.

Thank you~!

·
Registered
780 Posts
If it is just leaking why do you need to remove it? Take the screw out and remove the handle, then remove the packing nut, pull out the stem and replace the washer on the end of the stem. Reinstall.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
if it's in such bad shape inside (corroded/pitted. etc.) that replacement is necessary, grab a pipe wrench, position the jaws over the USA on each side and rotate CCW, it will unscrew.

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
be sure to take the old one with you to replace too, it looks like you have a check valve or something on that unit.

DM

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If it is just leaking why do you need to remove it? Take the screw out and remove the handle, then remove the packing nut, pull out the stem and replace the washer on the end of the stem. Reinstall.
The handle is usually keyed into the stem. What would you do if it's corroded together?

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
I'd replace the whole exteerior hydrant. That is and older hydrant because that "thingy on the end" is a vaccum break and most of todays hydrants have that anti-siphon break built into the hydrant.

If this in a crawlspace slide in and remove at the connection. Please don't just try to CCW turn the hydrant because I have had to go and repair the line that feeds the hydrant from being twisted.

just my $.02.....replace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts