DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Average Joe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Belong to a pool club. Our pool vacuum has a built in GFI in the switch As a result, when I plug it in to the existing GFI outlet, the plug trips. (In essence I have a double GFI, One at the plug and one on the machine. Both the pool maintenance company and manufacturer state this to be the problem. I want to install a non GFI outlet on the side of the pump house to use. Does the code require this outlet to be GFI or are there any provisions in the code for this circumstance. Calling out local inspector now.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
The outside receptacle requires GFI protection.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
It should not trip the GFCI outlet when plugged in. I have a power washer with a GFCI plug on it, and never have a problem with it tripping the GFCI protected outlets that I use on my house. I would have the vacuum checked out for current leakage.

·
Electromagician
79 Posts
the manufacturer and maintenance company are wrong. back when I had hair I plugged the cord mounted gfi of the hairdryer into the bathroom gfi all the time. that is not the problem. you have a ground fault in the vacuum and the receptacle is doing its job by turning off the circuit. by code you can't eliminate either of the gfi's

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
You can string as many GFCI's together as you want - it does not affect the proper operation of any of them. You have a ground fault, and it's doing its job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts