DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't turn the water faucet off outside my home? It has the garden hose attached to it. The home was built in 1992 and I can't seem to find the shut off valve for the outside lines. Please advise.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
There should be a shutoff, but not necessarily. To keep costs down, shutoff valves were often left out. There will always be a main shutoff where the water service enters the house. While you have the water off, install a shutoff for that fixture in a convenient place.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
A garden hose faucet (hose bibb) that doesn't shut off can also have its washer replaced but sometimes it is too difficult to unscrew the top of the faucet. You would need to get an adapter with a (usually small) lever shutoff to put on the faucet spout and rely on that until you can replace the faucet. Replacing the faucet usually needs slicing off the feed pipe from inside and when you do this it may be convenient to add an inside shutoff valve if not already.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
open all your cold water faucets in side the house take a channel locks and grab the nut just below the shut off and easy turn it CCW to break it loose...flip flops and shorts required.the water won't spray out because the house is draining on those faucets...as stated unscrew the hat and there should be a small screwed down rubber on the seat...if you have more then one redo them all cheap hardware item...gardening and car washing everybody cranks them down

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
open all your cold water faucets in side the house take a channel locks and grab the nut just below the shut off and easy turn it CCW to break it loose...flip flops and shorts required.
Tried that and the screws holding the faucet to the side of the house tore out and the faucet threatened to twist out of the wall, deforming the copper plumbing behind it. Stopped trying to turn it without successfully removing the nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts