DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is air coming thru the vents in the house, but the fan on the unit outside is not coming on. (So no cool air)

I can turn the breaker off, give the fan a good spin, and turn the breaker on and everything works for about 15 minutes... then stops again.

Went thru this a year ago, and it ended up being the Capacitor. It looked like a soda can about to explode. Capacitor doesn't look like that now.

Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Bad capacitor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a tech come out. He checked the Capacitor, and said it was good. Thinks its the fan motor.

The Fan came back on, and stayed on... so decided not to replace the motor at this point.

·
Registered
577 Posts
when the unit is off, check to see if the fan spins freely (use a stick or something to spin the fan). if there is any resistance, the bearings could be going bad. I had a similar problem about 3 years ago and believe it or not, a little WD-40 did the trick. you have to remove the fan assembly, turn it over and spray the lubricant on the underside where the shaft goes up into the motor. this is not a permanent fix by any means, you may get a few months or you may get a few years out of it like me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the fan spins freely. And after spinning, I can turn power back on... and fan will spin.

Had a tech come out. Said the Condenser is good. Maybe the motor is going out.

·
Administrator
40,779 Posts
Did he test the capacitor with a meter, or just look at it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its definitely the fan motor. Debating whether to fix it myself, or pay the tech. They want $350 to do it.

Any suggestions where to buy a replacement motor in Fort Worth area?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
On line.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts