DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about six outside corners, plus about 30 feet of soffit corner to install today. I am using the steel corners. I bought some 1 1/2" roofing nails for the ceiling corners, and some one inch for the 1/2 inch drywall. I also have a pneumatic gun that shoots one inch staples but I am thinking I need longer staples? Anyway, are roofing nails fine for this application?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I always make sure the corner bead has a stud to nail into throughout. Drywall does not hold anything. I use drywall nails. I guess roofing nail would work but the head is big. Maybe just use a couple roofing nails then use stapler.
When hanging corner bead use a mudding knife to make sure it is sticking out far enough.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I haven't used metal beads for a couple years but when I did I always used drywall nails. I'm not sure, but if I remember right, roofing nails have a bigger diameter, and may pull your corner bead out of shape when you start nailing. Don't think I would use staples in metal bead. Staples are used in vinyl bead and they are only to hold it in place till the adhesive dries.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All in all, over the years, I have had very little problem with drywall outside corners. Of course, you must adhere them straight, square, and use a reasonably amount of fasteners (screws, drywall nails, roofing nails). I have seen very little failure with the outside corners of drywall.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have about six outside corners, plus about 30 feet of soffit corner to install today. I am using the steel corners. I bought some 1 1/2" roofing nails for the ceiling corners, and some one inch for the 1/2 inch drywall. I also have a pneumatic gun that shoots one inch staples but I am thinking I need longer staples? Anyway, are roofing nails fine for this application?
Drywall screws or drywall nails. I think I used screws on my last major repair. Drywall nails have a thinner head than do roofing nails, therefore, they're easier to hide under your mud. And they're inexpensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts