DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my remodeled bathroom, I've tiled around the corner from the shower to the toilet area.

Opinions on whether or grout or caulk the outside corner joints?

It doesn't show up well in the photo but the narrow vertical tile is bullnose.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,112 Posts
Color coordinated grout caulk would be my choice. It remains flexible but looks like the other grout lines. Use it wherever you change planes.

Reactions: ZZZZZ

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Technically you could use caulk at every change of plane, but I've found some of them don't matter much. Personally I would grout that, especially if the wood framing is years old.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technically you could use caulk at every change of plane, but I've found some of them don't matter much. Personally I would grout that, especially if the wood framing is years old.
Underneath, I've got a layer of Kerdi over drywall. The framing is 35 years old.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Inside corners are tile to tile—would you grout that too?

I don't know who you're talking to. I assume you're talking to udraft, who seems to have the wrong guideline in place.

As chandler said, as a general rule you can caulk wherever there is a change of plane. I make exceptions based on experience.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We generally caulk inside joints, because the walls can move independently. The outside corner joins over a single wall.

·
Naildriver
12,112 Posts
I agree with Jeffnc on this, although it is a change of planes with two distinct walls that could pull against each other, but not likely due to framing.

Attachments

Reactions: ZZZZZ
1 - 12 of 12 Posts