DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Willing to listen
221 Posts
Find a great installer by talking to your friends, neighbors, coworkers etc and don't worry so much about the brand.

Payne is a Carrier brand. Maybe the biggest difference between Carrier and Trane is Trane using aluminum spine fin for the outdoor coil instead of more traditional copper tubes. And each of these has their pros and cons...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Find a great installer by talking to your friends, neighbors, coworkers etc and don't worry so much about the brand.

Payne is a Carrier brand. Maybe the biggest difference between Carrier and Trane is Trane using aluminum spine fin for the outdoor coil instead of more traditional copper tubes. And each of these has their pros and cons...
What are those pros and cons?

·
Willing to listen
221 Posts
One persons view of a pro is anothers idea of a con...so take it with a grain of salt...

Aluminum supposed to be less likely to leak, not as many joints...it's one continious piece. Some don't like cleaning the spine fin especially if it gets gunked with cottonwood or the like....but I suspect the guys who work on Trane all the time have it figured out. Some of the higher efficiency Tranes are two row spine fin so maybe a bit harder still to clean. More folks in the field probably know how to repair a leak in copper than aluminum. Trane would probably argue it has better (more) surface area and therefore improved heat transfer. I'm sure there's more....

I would take either one if I felt good about the guy putting the equipment in. I do prefer units with some type of coil protection/hail guard which both brands offer.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Please compare a trane airconditioner to a payne airconditioner?
What are you asking pertaining to the name, or installation. Over and over, it has been stated that a system is only as good as the person installing and maintaining it. Names really mean nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts