DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

There is an outlot on the side of my property that is about 10 feet wide and runs the length of my lot. My neighbor wants to put a swingset on this outlot between our houses. Would that be legal? I know that the village owns the outlot but I'm not sure what the laws are.

Any input is appreciated.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
an odd question indeed.

the simplest answer would be;

no, it would not be legal to put your swing on anothers property.

While that is most likely the correct answer, it may not be totally correct and more info is needed before you can get an answer.

what is the lot for? How as is created? Have you asked your village people about this?

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
I would think the village would have to say no. It belongs to them, and therefore not open for private use.

·
6,520 Posts
I'd agree, most jurisdictions won't allow a structure of any kind within the required lot line setbacks or easements (utility or otherwise).

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
what is the lot for? How as is created? Have you asked your village people about this?
There are many Town & state owned parcels that neighbors encroach upon. Here commuter train went back in 40+ years after it shut down & people had to take down fences, move sheds & other things that were setup on this right of way
They had NO legal right to deny the right of way, despite the length of time that had passed

My last house bordered a "paper" road that did not exist
My neighbor bought the lot paper road lot near me ages ago. The neighbors across the street did not. Yet there driveway & parking area were in this area - no problems for decades

Many Towns do not care, unless someone complains

Why would the Village people know anything? :laughing:

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
man, I know some, or all, of those guys are gay but I never realized how gay they actually look.

the fact that people put things on the area they were not supposed to does not make it legal though and since the OP did ask if it was legal, I figured I would stick with that premise.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
we "claimed" 10x30' at the rear of our old property after the city declared it no longer used as a traffic way. (for coal in the old days, i believe)
i don't think the people that lived behind us any longer have any claim to it as it's been used by us and is now listed in our property tax thing.
but since the thing is under L/C, not my problem any more! lol
i'd check with the city and see if they plan to abandon it. then you can claim it or split it with the neighbor.

DM

·
Registered
873 Posts
Most of those here are sold on tax sales,,,not MUCH money,,,only worth a hoot to an ajoining neighbor who is tired of mowing it anyway for whoever owns it because they wont mow. AND they want to clean it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts