DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
Breakers sometimes are tripped although the handle may not move from the "on" position. Physically turn the breaker to this receptacle "off". What did you plug into this receptacle to cause this problem? Do you have access to a multimeter? Plug a light into the top of the receptacle to see if it is still active.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Breakers sometimes are tripped although the handle may not move from the "on" position. Physically turn the breaker to this receptacle "off". What did you plug into this receptacle to cause this problem? Do you have access to a multimeter? Plug a light into the top of the receptacle to see if it is still active.
Hi,

so the construction guys who are fixing in the tiles for the bathroom used this plug, not sure what they used, I discovered this on my own

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
They just left it like this without telling you?? Just left of stupid, IMO. Check the receptacle as I stated to see if there is still power and then locate the breaker and turn it off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
( Outdoor receptacle, assuming left side of the picture, is the proper way up. )

Maybe they used a large tile saw extensively and the outlet melted around the plug??

Strange ... as it looks like a recent anti-tamper one that is 20A. Brand??

Plus, shame on the tile guys for not mentioning this mishap. I'm pretty sure their plug end is not in pristine condition.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
So not damage to internal wiring, thanks guys,

because I smell a strange house where the outlet is located inside the house, been there for hours
There will be a strange burning smell until you replace that outlet. Then the burning smell will eventually out gas and go away unless there is further damage to the wiring circuit somewhere else. That was some serious burning going on there. Burnt plastic smells really bad until it's replaced.

As mentioned, verify wiring circuit is sound and safe.

Get with the construction guys boss and ask him/her to take a look or show them pictures of what their employees did. They are responsible. Just a suggestion.

·
Wanna Be
549 Posts
I suspect the tamper resistant outlets because they often resist the plug way beyond just tamper resistance to the point it's actually resistant to a plug...and someone will force it in and break it in the process and then the little plastic tamper flap comes into contact with the plug that has current and a chain reaction starts to melt the whole outlet. definitely swap the outlet out.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
How old would you say that receptacle is.....if you know?
What usually gets plugged into it?
Receptacles that get used by high amp drawing devices will start to lose their temper and not grip the plug as tightly as they should.
It happens often on kitchen outlets used by toasters, toaster ovens and other high wattage appliances.
If the plug doesn't get gripped tightly it is basically a loose connection.....and those heat up.
One of the major causes of fires in homes in the winter when a space heater is plugged into an outlet or on a power strip with multiple loads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I replaced the outlet, with the same 20A 125V tamper resistant and installed a new protective cover for better seal against the rain,

Any more damage control needed,
What’s the possibility of damaged wiring, breaker didn’t kick off, when it was discovered,

I turned it off and installed this new outlet,
Everything seems fine for now

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
It was probably a heat related problem and only burned your contractor's plug, not causing a fault, so it didn't trip. Did you check the wiring from the receptacle to make sure it was still pliable and not brittle? Good call on the bubble cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts