DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing two outlets in my kitchen and have been confounded by what seems like a simple task. One of the outlets has 3 romax lines in it -- one hot and the other that feed other outlets in the kitchen. I'm assuming that the other outlet is being fed by this one, since it has a single romax line in it. Today I wired up a new outlet to the one with the 3 lines. I put the hot line in the top receptacle -- black to gold and white to silver. No problem, and the outlet has power. But, as soon as I add the other two lines it trips the breaker. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
20,893 Posts
Add your location and tell us about all the cables. Are they all black and white wires or is there a red wire in one of them?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I'm replacing two outlets in my kitchen and have been confounded by what seems like a simple task. One of the outlets has 3 romax lines in it -- one hot and the other that feed other outlets in the kitchen. I'm assuming that the other outlet is being fed by this one, since it has a single romax line in it. Today I wired up a new outlet to the one with the 3 lines. I put the hot line in the top receptacle -- black to gold and white to silver. No problem, and the outlet has power. But, as soon as I add the other two lines it trips the breaker. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
So you have 3 x cables in one box ? correct ?
How many wires are in each of these three cables ?
And where do they all go to ?
Are they all grouped together according to color ?
I.E. All blacks together, all whites together, and all grounds together ?

Did you do any tests to be sure that the other two cables do indead go to the other two outlets ?
Or did you just assume ?

"as soon as I add the other two lines"
Are you talking about the cables,
that you assume go to the other two outlets ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm assuming that they go to the other two outlets. I haven't tested it. How do you test that? I'd love to see whether those other lines do in fact go to outlets.

They are old romax lines -- stuffed into a an old box. 3 3 wire cables -- black, white and ground. That's it. One runs 110v and the other don't carry any power.

And when I say, "as soon as I add the other two lines" I do mean adding the other two lines to the outlet that i've wired hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts