DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
what kind of tester do you have? Is there a legend for a defect indicated by two yellow lights and one red light on the tester?

when you "test" the gfci (using the test button on the gfci) does the light go out too?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
When I "test" the gfci the light does NOT go on
I asked:

when you "test" the gfci (using the test button on the gfci) does the light go out too?

Off, not on.
in other words; turn the light on. Push the test button (which will trip the gfci). Does the light stay on or go off?

I plugged my hair dryer into the outlet when the light switch was in the Off position. when I pressed the button on my hair dryer to turn it on, not only did the hair dryer go on (which I had hoped and expected) but the lights in the bathroom went on! And when I turned my hair dryer off the lights went off! I assume this cannot be a good situation.
were the lights dimmed somewhat?

but no, that is not good.

do you have a brand name and maybe model number for the receptacle/switch device? This has me a bit perplexed and would like to look at the manufactures website to see if I can find anything.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
I actually just found that myself a couple of minutes ago - so glad I'm not the first person who this has happened to! Although in my case an actual licensed electrician who came to me with good references did the work.
then call them back and tell them to fix the probelm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.