DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a newbie, so apologies if this question is worn out.

I'm remodeling a kitchen. I know the code says outlets have to be effectively no more that 48" apart above the counter (anywhere on the counter no more than 24" horizontally to the nearest outlet). But I have countertop running under two large windows. The windows are nearly 6 feet wide, and the intended installation will place the sill very close to the countertop. What options are there for this situation? The counters are granite. I don't want to put outlets in the counter (not sure that's even allowed?).

I have seen photos of kitchens with large windows that run all the way down to the countertop. How do they meet the requirements?

I may have barely enough room to squeeze in an outlet running sideways in the backsplash. Is this acceptable - or in this case, required?

Thanks,
k

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,809 Posts
If you don't put 1 in you will be at the mercy of the electrical inspector. Talk to them up front and ask if you install a receptacle immediately on both sides of the window if that would be acceptable. If the answer is no, put 1 in horizontally.

Reactions: Soundside

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an argument that window openings do not constitute "wall space". Consult your AHJ.
I had wondered about that. In fact I've heard electricians say they never put outlets below any windows because apparently some localities disallow it.

I was definitely going to try and ask this among other questions to my local inspectors prior to committing.

thnks

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I had wondered about that. In fact I've heard electricians say they never put outlets below any windows because apparently some localities disallow it.

I was definitely going to try and ask this among other questions to my local inspectors prior to committing.

thnks
I've built many houses with large kitchen windows, electrician always put a receptacle on each side of the window and it's never been a problem. Of course there's always a sink centered on the window but it's nowhere's near as wide as the window.

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
I would definitely check with your local Code inspector. Depending on the height of the wall under the sink, between the backsplash and framing sill you might not have enough space for a box. Also, I believe some jurisdictions have different definitions of regarding the height that constitutes a clear wall space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts