DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my wall switch to match our newly painted room. The new switch works fine but now 2 of my wall plugs, which I also changed do not work.
All the wires are black going into the switch( 3 in total), so I'm notto sure what is hot or neutral. The old switch had the wires placed in the back of it with 1 wire wrapped around a screw .

When I wired my switch I used the screws instead plugging them into the back like the old one.:confused1:

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Do your receptacles work when the switch is turned on??

If so, you simply mis-wired the switch. I can tell you ways to test it, but it might get confusing so just try the two other combinations and one of them will work.

There are 3 blacks because no neutral is necessary for a switch. The neutral is probably spliced in the back of the box, don't touch it. The 3 black wires are:

Feed In- This is the power coming in.
Feed Out- This is the power going out to the receptacles.
Switch Leg- This is the power that is switched by the switch, this goes up to the light.

How did you connect three wires to the switch using the screws? Did you put two wires under one of the screws, or did you pigtail it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...yes the white wires are at the back....I will not touch them...Actually the way it isworking now...when the switch is on,one outlet will work , the other 2 will not. I play with the wires and all the outlets will work only when the switch is either on or off.

When I wired the switch i used 3 different screws ...I didn"t put 2 wires under one screw.

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Thanks for the reply...yes the white wires are at the back....I will not touch them...Actually the way it isworking now...when the switch is on,one outlet will work , the other 2 will not. I play with the wires and all the outlets will work only when the switch is either on or off.

When I wired the switch i used 3 different screws ...I didn"t put 2 wires under one screw.
Your switch has 3 different screws? Are you putting a wire on the ground screw??

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Maybe it's a 3-way? Is there another switch in the same (or nearby) room that may control these outlets?
I thought that at first, but then I thought that it would be odd for a 3-way to control 3 receptacles. Plus, it would be odd to have a 3-way setup with 3 black wires and the whites spliced in the back of the box.

dads_gt, did you buy a 3-way switch by accident?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it's a 3-way? Is there another switch in the same (or nearby) room that may control these outlets?
no...these outlets work on there own

I thought that at first, but then I thought that it would be odd for a 3-way to control 3 receptacles. Plus, it would be odd to have a 3-way setup with 3 black wires and the whites spliced in the back of the box.

dads_gt, did you buy a 3-way switch by accident?
I don't think it is a 3 way ...it does have 4 scews...no ground

Do your receptacles work when the switch is turned on??

If so, you simply mis-wired the switch. I can tell you ways to test it, but it might get confusing so just try the two other combinations and one of them will work.

There are 3 blacks because no neutral is necessary for a switch. The neutral is probably spliced in the back of the box, don't touch it. The 3 black wires are:

Feed In- This is the power coming in.
Feed Out- This is the power going out to the receptacles.
Switch Leg- This is the power that is switched by the switch, this goes up to the light.

How did you connect three wires to the switch using the screws? Did you put two wires under one of the screws, or did you pigtail it?

Proby...I beleive uare right in saying i just miss matched the black wires.
Can u give me an idea on how to test which wire should go where...I have an Amp probe to assist me

thanks

·
Electrician
818 Posts
There are only 3 wires and there is no way to wire them together that would make a short so just try different configurations.

I would really like to see this switch, can you either take a picture or look up the brand/model and link me to it online?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts