DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the outlets in both my bathrooms are not working. The outside outlets that are on the same GFCI breaker are working. I have tested the gfci breaker and reset it but the the outlets will not work. Can only part of a GFCI breaker be bad.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
If the outside receptacles are working, then the problem isn’t the breaker, if they truly are on the same circuit. You probably have a loose/broken connection, either at one of the outside recepts, or one of the bath recepts, or a broken wire in between.

Turn off the breaker and check the connections at the receptacles.

Also, consider running a new circuit to either the baths or the outside recepts. Bath receptacles aren’t supposed to be shared with other receptacles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assum they are on the same GFCI. There is only one GFCI in box and it is marked bathroom outlets. I know it also is on the outside outlets becasue when I shut it off the outside outlets do not work. Also the light in the bathroom are on it and they are not working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know they are on the same breaker becasue when I cut it off the outside outlets do not work. The GFCI breaker is marked bathroom outlets/light. And the light do not work also. Everything was working fine no problems. I turned on the switch for the light heard a pop and that was when the problem started.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
I assume you have regular receptacles in the bathroom and not GFI’s since you have a GFI breaker.

Do you have an idea where the ‘pop’ came from? That’ll be the place to start looking. Might be in the switch box or receptacle(s) box, or even in the light.

Another note, since you reset the breaker and it’s staying on, I’d bet a wire came disconnected or burnt in half or something like that. If it was a ‘dead short’, the breaker wouldn’t reset.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Time to take the switch out and see what happened. Power off of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts